Might be a stupid question - but...

OK, maybe I already know the answer to this question, but as there are smarter people in this forum than myself, I thought I’d ask.

Is there any way to utilize a windows DLL file on the Mac side of things? I have some USB devices that I would love to use on a Mac but the vendor only provides DLLs/driver files for Windows and Linux.

So just was wondering if there was some magical way to utilize driver files from other platforms via Xojo…

Nope… DLL/Drivers interface with the OS… Windows and OSX are not the same (thank goodness)

no
the executable format is wrong
the dylib format is wrong
etc

[quote=200453:@Jon Ogden]OK, maybe I already know the answer to this question, but as there are smarter people in this forum than myself, I thought I’d ask.

Is there any way to utilize a windows DLL file on the Mac side of things? I have some USB devices that I would love to use on a Mac but the vendor only provides DLLs/driver files for Windows and Linux.

So just was wondering if there was some magical way to utilize driver files from other platforms via Xojo…[/quote]

It could be possible to build a small Xojo program for Windows that interfaces with the DLL, and bottle it with Wine so it runs on Mac. Then you could have the Mac program and the bottled one communicate through IPC.

That is, if the DLL exposes COM objects that xojo can see, and if IPC works between a bottled program and a native one.

Thanks guys. That’s what I thought. I just wanted to make sure.

And Michael, thanks for the suggestion, but that’s too much work! :slight_smile:

If you don’t mind me asking, what devices? I have some hand coded drivers here for some odd stuff, like DACs and USB serial cables and so forth.

Thanks but it’s some specialized test equipment.