Microsoft claims more Mac users are switching to Surface with the new tbMBP.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/12/microsoft-calls-new-macbook-pro-disappointment/

Redditors are none to pleased with the tbMBP either.
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/5hwv6s/microsoft_says_disappointment_of_new_macbook_pro/

I sure hope that someone at Apple is paying attention, it seems that people have gone from loving Apple’s products to hating them and the company.

MS also claimed to be happy with their phone strategy once upon a time :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll wait & see if they report actual number of units sold, not stuffed into the channels.

That doesn’t free Apple from needing to pay attention and fix issues with the MBPrt
There’s a ton of commercials all obviously aimed right at Apple lately - basically saying “Cant do this on myMac”

I’m sure Microsoft has nothing but Apple’s best interests at heart.

The main problem with Microsoft is not – and never was – the hardware. There have always been good computers around running Windows. The problem is the software. To this day Windows is ugly, full of inconsistencies, disctracting animations (macOS is now catching up fast on this), etc etc – the list is endless. And in addition a lot of non-MS software on Windows is clearly developed by a strange breed of aliens which have no clue of Windows’ HIG…

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen! :wink:

Nice try MS though Apple messed it up with its adaptors (no iphone7 connectivity) and pro specs (16 GB limit). Oh I miss the times when Apple has had clear product lines…

Once upon a time Wintel was king. Seeing Microsoft pose as a challenger to Mac is somewhat ironic.

In their defense, Windows Design Guidelines have drastically changed between, say, 2010 and today. Windows 8 was all about full screen and charm bar. Windows 10 did away with the charm bar (blessed be), and full screen as well. Plus, design guidelines have gotten more precise, and clearly closer to web design.

For years before that, everything was going on. Even in MS apps BTW. Even today, the overbusy toolbar is still here, even if design guidelines recommend cleaner interface.

I have to admit that myself, could not find a real way to enforce MS design guidelines. I ended up using something real close to what I am doing on Mac.

Remember the Macintosh IIcx / Remember the Macintosh IIci.

When released, everyone said about Macintosh IIci: it is compatible with nothing.

One price down, complains slows down a bit…

Another price down, complains slow down to near the floor.

Sometimes ellapsed and we remove the Macintosh IIci from sales and people were asking “why do you remove this fantastic machine from sales ?”.

Conclusion: rise down the computer price and it will become more and more compatible with its hardware / software ecosystem; and rise its price down one more time and when it is obsolete (time to replace it), people will love it !

IMHO the new MBP is not Pro anymore. But a picture says more I ever could say:

Possibly the first time I have ever said ‘yeuck’ when looking at a Mac product.
That needs a docking station, and/or someone at Apple getting a good kick.

When did ‘Pro’ become minimalist? The fact that you can plug in so much and it still works shows it’s a Pro.

I agree it’s ugly, but would you prefer a MBPrt with power plus five single-use ports, each stuck on a specific side? Or four hub-able multi-use ports connectable from either side? You know you can stick another two hubs on the other side and plug in six more devices! Real ‘Pros’ don’t care about ‘ugly’, but getting the job done with a good tool. If the MBPrt works then it’s a good tool, if it doesn’t work then it’s not a good tool.

When I look at my current 2012 MBP I have only one HDMI port (not multiple), I have a USB hub, mag-safe power and an octopi-like array of MDP and ethernet cables hanging out both sides and it is definitely ugly, and not as flexible!

I have fallen for the MacBook 2015 because of the magic of gold and ultra-thin.

I see very well the appeal of the same form factor in the new Mac Book Pro. In fact, it is very attractive. I just wish there were a single use dongle, rather than a collection of adaptors that frankly take room in the bag.

Now if I was very much into photography, I would really resent the absence of sd card.

Who remembers the Duo (210 / 230, …) dock / docking station ?

[quote=304411:@David Cox]When did ‘Pro’ become minimalist? The fact that you can plug in so much and it still works shows it’s a Pro.

I agree it’s ugly, but would you prefer a MBPrt with power plus five single-use ports, each stuck on a specific side? Or four hub-able multi-use ports connectable from either side? You know you can stick another two hubs on the other side and plug in six more devices! Real ‘Pros’ don’t care about ‘ugly’, but getting the job done with a good tool. If the MBPrt works then it’s a good tool, if it doesn’t work then it’s not a good tool.

When I look at my current 2012 MBP I have only one HDMI port (not multiple), I have a USB hub, mag-safe power and an octopi-like array of MDP and ethernet cables hanging out both sides and it is definitely ugly, and not as flexible! [/quote]

Well lets take a minute. I need HDMI or DP for presentations, SD Card slot for my Cams, at least one USB slot for USB Memory Sticks or external CD/DVD drives. Yes this stuff is still needed in the world outside when working with others. You need at least the classic USB port the last-gen MBP had on each side.

Now there is a thinner new MBP but with less duration, less connectivity and no chance to replace an SSD. I even can’t connect my iPhone7 or iPad. I have to carry several adaptors with me or a kind of docking multiplicator which is not from Apple. Maybe somebody could provide a benchmark when working with external display, ethernet, power-supply and perhaps an external USB drive put all through the same port. I can’t believe that this works without interfering or crippeling down performance.

On the MacBook, the sole usb-c connector is not a terrible issue. I use it primarily while travelling, and am never going to use it as primary machine. Of course I ended up with three different dongles in order to connect regular USB, ethernet or hdmi, but I really can survive that.

The MacBook Pro is another proposition. I know some people use it as primary development tool, which often implies connecting it to a monitor, as well as adding external drives and what not. I already mentioned photographers, who need to connect USB cables and check sd cards all the time. Then, as much as the previous MacBook Pro was the perfect tool, the new one appears less appropriate.

It is quite true that the Microsoft Surface Pro has a built-in sd card reader, a full size USB port, as well as mini-display. That makes it a good fit for people who are pretty agnostic about the system.

I don’t really think people who have been using Mac for a while will do the switch that easily, though. Let alone because still in the example of the photographer, he would have several pro apps that he may not want to buy again. And as we all know, once bitten by the Apple fly, difficult to go for the other side.

What I see very well happening, though, is a lot of people hanging to their previous MacBook Pro, who will definitely not want the new one. It could even be one of these occasion when consumers create demand for used that equals or exceeds that of the new. Ebay may have a lot more customers for pre-2016 MacBook Pro.

Anything with Thunderbolt, which should include your 2012 MBP, can support a multi-port, multi-use hub. OWC makes some pretty nice ones.

But what you can’t do with the new MBP, as Tomas points out, is quickly and easily connect to devices in the field. I use classic USB ports and Ethernet so often that if I were to upgrade my MBP I simply would not consider anything currently sold by Apple. I would purchase a used MBP. Or maybe even a PC notebook that’s Hackintosh ready.

On the flip side, I also would not consider a Surface Pro. Windows is a terrible, insecure, bloated OS which has become corporate spyware. If Apple continues to make hardware I will not purchase, and Microsoft continues to make an OS I cannot trust, then I’m going to end up on Linux sooner or later.

I very much wish that Apple would return to their senses and…

• Immediately refresh this MacBook “Pro” with a real MacBook Pro. A little more thickness and weight so there’s space for a larger battery and better cooling along with ports, ports, and more ports. USB-C, classic USB, FW800, HDMI, Ethernet, SD card, and yes, an actual analog headphone jack.

• Trash the trash can, return to the aluminum tower case, and give us a real Mac Pro with slots, ports, upgradable CPUs, and room for an unholy amount of RAM.

Apple already saw to that; most pro and semipro Photographers were pushed to Adobe Lightroom when Apple cancelled Aperture and replaced it with the lame duck that is “Photos”. Lightroom is $10 a month with Photoshop and if you change from Mac to Windows, you log-out on your Mac and login to Windows; you still have to transfer your files, but Your Adobe licence is easily transferred across.

I see this time and time again on the forums and in discussions. Those that do migrate are also doing it with such hatred for Apple; they’all never buy or recommend another Apple product again.

I personally know (in the real world) of an iOS games company, that have migrated to Windows. They use an interpreted language and the emulator runs on Windows with full touch support, so they can actually debug their games right on the laptop and detach the screen so it’s just like an iPad. Now they’re talking about getting their games in the Windows Store too. Still needs a Mac to ship for iOS, but development is so much easier now.

Apple has a crisis brewing, one which they created for themselves.

How many laptops support 32GB?
Isn’t the problem that people confuse the MB Pro with Desktop Pro due to Apple’s neglect to the desktop machines?

Here’s a list for you:
http://cleverleverage.com/best-laptops-with-32gb-ram-ssd-drives/

Ironically the Microsoft Surface isn’t there… No surprise the tbMBP isn’t there.

I think that’s a whole different “bag of pain”.

What I like about this thread is that MS has said something that is sufficiently vague that its hard to know exactly what they mean.

Heck if in past years they had 5 people switch and now they have 10 they could have said “We’ve doubled our numbers”.
And while strictly true no one would claim this is some mass exodus of Mac users moving.

And the rest of the statements are also weasely in similar ways

http://www.t-gaap.com/2016/12/16/record-sales-for-surface-seriously

[quote=305007:@Sam Rowlands]Here’s a list for you:
http://cleverleverage.com/best-laptops-with-32gb-ram-ssd-drives/[/quote]
UGH - “Full HD display” … 1920 x 1080 for most
Why would I step down in resolution ?
There is only one on that list I’d even consider - HP Envy 17t UHD Touchscreen 4K 17.3” High Performance Laptop
as its NOT just 1920 x 1080
But 17.3" makes it an aircraft carrier and weighs about the same (7 lbs)