Memory Leak Xojo 2014 r3.1 OSX Yosemite

I appear to be leaking memory. My MacBook gets more and more sluggish every time I run my app in the IDE. I got up to 1GB of physical memory the other night and right now i’m up to 769MB for Xojo alone. It appears to consume more after each run. How do I track down the culprit and what can I do to cure it.

Xojo 2013 r3.1 OSX Yosemite

Does this happen when you run an empty project over and over again?

I’ll check this today Geoff. I rechecked the other project last night and the same again up to 950MB so it is repeatable.

Ok Geoff, My test is as follows, with a blank project and after each run (except first reading):

71.3 MB - Xojo Opens with blank project not running
111.5 MB - After first run
115.1 MB - After 2nd run
117.9 MB - After 3rd run
120.6 MB - After 4th run
123.7 MB - After 5th run
124.9 MB - After 6th run
126.8 MB - After 7th run
127.3 MB - After 8th run
129.6 MB - After 9th run
130.3 MB - After 10th run

Definite pattern. Hope this helps.

Hi Mike, I often have to restart Xojo after a couple of days usage. First autocomplete gets sluggish, then typing text… Then everything. I’ve also found that once OS X swaps it out of memory (two years ago I upgraded to 16gb and now I need more!) when it returns it needs to be restarted.

I’ve not filed any feedback cases, I suppose I should.

Sam,

When you see this happening, check the size of your clipboard. I’ve seen cases where the code editor gets slower and slower depending on he increasing size of the clipboard.

Huh… Sure I’ll check it out. What would you recommend be the best way to fix it, when this happens? Copy a short string, a file on the desktop? Obviously not an image… hmm… Which I do do… Not Dodo, or do-do, but I do do…

Copy something small, a few characters will do (assuming you don’t need what’s on the clipboard).

Do I need to file a bug report regarding this?

I’d check your findings in 2014r3.1 before filing a report. We certainly could have fixed it in the last year.

It normally takes hours or even days to show up in my experience.

[quote=158349:@Mike Charlesworth]I appear to be leaking memory. My MacBook gets more and more sluggish every time I run my app in the IDE. I got up to 1GB of physical memory the other night and right now i’m up to 769MB for Xojo alone. It appears to consume more after each run. How do I track down the culprit and what can I do to cure it.

Xojo 2013 r3.1 OSX Yosemite[/quote]

Mike, are you talking about 2013R3.1 or 2014R3.1 ?

At any rate, the phenomenon is still here. But is is not just as straightforward. When I launch 2014R3.1 it uses 73.7 MB in Activity Monitor. Then when I run, it goes briefly to 109.8, then after one second or two, it stabilizes at 110.1.
Next run, it goes briefly to 108.4, then stabilizes at 122.4.
Further along, it was at 151.2, it went down to 149.6, then back up to 105.5.
So the amount of extra memory taken at every run varies, but it is confirmed in the latest version.

This problem is older than Xojo… Ususally the crashing debugger solves this problem at least once a day.

Whoops, sorry typo I’m using 2014 r 3.1, no wonder my responses were poor.

Yes I am using the latest version and this is confimed. The results in my post above are 2014 r 3.1

It may be old but I have never noticed it before. If it is older than Xojo, surely someone has filed a bug report. Chomping in excess of 1GB of memory and within an hour or 2 of working is a huge leak.

Just out of curiosity, do you see this behavior if you have no plugins installed?

Yes. No plugins.

I see that here too, Desktop 2014 r3.1 no plugins,
here is a video with just the program from Introduction to XoJo programming on creating classes.
Shows memory increasing with multiple runs.
http://youtu.be/-gVD-U4qFUs

[quote=159072:@Joel Godin]I see that here too, Desktop 2014 r3.1 no plugins,
here is a video with just the program from Introduction to XoJo programming on creating classes.
Shows memory increasing with multiple runs.
http://youtu.be/-gVD-U4qFUs[/quote]
Unfortunately, the rez is so low, we can’t read the numbers in the Activity viewer.

When the vide is first published on YouTube it’s low res.
It’s showing 1080p now, so try again.

I’m not using any plug ins…