MBS VLC Media Player

Anyone using the MBS VLC Media player in Windows? I can’t get any of the examples that come with MBS to work in Windows. The handle from VLCInstanceMBS keeps coming back 0 which (supposedly) means that it failed to initialize.

Any sage words of advice?

The reason why I’m looking into this is that there are various Windows installations that won’t play a simple mp4 video. This happens in a VM installation of Vista for me but we’ve also had various Windows 7, 8, and 10 reports too. It’s a handful of users out of thousands, but still, the client isn’t happy and I’m not sure how to help him. Any ideas?

maybe make a little vlc console project, so you see any error message while loading the plugins?
Could be some DLLs don’t load there?

I think it needs the 2.0 32bit libs.

Yes, a 32 bit app needs 32-bit libs and 64 bit app needs 64-bit libs.

On Windows, you may get newer 32bit versions than on Mac.

Using the console example showed me the error of my ways. Thanks for the input.

can you enlighten us? it could help us avoid the same issues.

Sure. In the VLC sample project, “Thumbnailer Console” there’s a method called DebugCopyLibs which copies 3 things into the same directory as the app: libvlc.dll, libvlccore.dll, and the plugins (for VLC) directory.

Since that’s not really cool to do at runtime in Windows Vista and above I just moved those into a Windows copy files build script to do to that at compile time.

[quote=216645:@Bob Keeney]Sure. In the VLC sample project, “Thumbnailer Console” there’s a method called DebugCopyLibs which copies 3 things into the same directory as the app: libvlc.dll, libvlccore.dll, and the plugins (for VLC) directory.

Since that’s not really cool to do at runtime in Windows Vista and above I just moved those into a Windows copy files build script to do to that at compile time.[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks for that.