MBS Plugins

It sounds like you’re trying to use plugins backwards. Plugins are great for when you know you need something but Xojo doesn’t offer it. Looking at the plugin package and trying to find something you like would definitely be as overwhelming as you’re finding.

For example, in an upcoming version of ExeWrapper I wanted to add the suppression checkbox to the repeatable warnings. I know this feature exists in macOS, but Xojo doesn’t offer it. I found out what feature I needed from the system, and found it’s wrapper functionality in MBS.

I would start with the question “What functionality do I need that Xojo doesn’t offer?” to figure out what plugin you need.

Hi

Whilst I appreciate where you’re coming from that wasn’t my original question in this post.

I wanted to know what use people we’re making of MBS as I was intrigued by how often they are mentioned.

I have a bookmarks folder with lots of Xojo plugin sites in now. In every other site I’ve been able to instantly see what the products do, what functionality they offer, download demo applications and see screenshots of the plugin running (for example calendar plug-ins for example which is one I’ve just got)

With MBS I haven’t a clue. The website is simply horrible (this is from someone who has spent the last 20 years as a web designer) and there is no easy way to find out what they do.

If I want a specific use case then I’ll use google. It may take me to MBS or it may not. How many more licences would they sell if the had a proper shop window website?

There are more posts in this forum about how bad the website is than there is about the product.

[quote=465544:@Tim Parnell]It sounds like you’re trying to use plugins backwards. Plugins are great for when you know you need something but Xojo doesn’t offer it. Looking at the plugin package and trying to find something you like would definitely be as overwhelming as you’re finding.

For example, in an upcoming version of ExeWrapper I wanted to add the suppression checkbox to the repeatable warnings. I know this feature exists in macOS, but Xojo doesn’t offer it. I found out what feature I needed from the system, and found it’s wrapper functionality in MBS.

I would start with the question “What functionality do I need that Xojo doesn’t offer?” to figure out what plugin you need.[/quote]

IIRC, MBS complete contains over 60,000 functions/methods/classes. Think of it more as an auto-parts store, where you know the part you need, rather than a candy store where you browse for new flavors. This implies that you’re a backyard mechanic at least.

@Rod Pascoe, maybe you start with watching an overview about the plugins.
See videos here.

Next the plugin comes with over 2000 example projects where you may find what you need.
e.g. with ChartDirector you can simply look on the pictures we include with examples.

The website is designed for a returning customer and not for a new one. This here is missing completely:

Agreed. Difficult to become a returning customer if not encouraged to purchase to start…

Will try and plough through.

I suck a copywriting. But - seriously - anything is better than nothing:

MBS plugins - the plugins for Xojo and Filemaker that do everything that Xojo and Filemaker don’t do

Xojo:

• Missing controls that Xojo should have had forever (for Mac) like DateControl, a super fast listbox
  • Database functions
  • Image manipulation
  • PDF
  • a couple of the more used classes (you know which ones are the most used, don’t you???)

(Do the same for Filemaker).

Still not enough? Get in touch and we will happily add more plugin functions.

Do for both Xojo and Filemaker:
New here? Download here, watch video here, go to documentation here.

Hi Beatrix,

Thanks for that.

[quote]a couple of the more used classes (you know which ones are the most used, don’t you???[/quote]. I don’t know I’m afraid, no.

[quote]Missing controls that Xojo should have had forever (for Mac) like DateControl, a super fast listbox. [/quote]. Is MBS Mac only? That never occurred to me to check.

The question was for Christian. I’m a Mac-only user so that the controls are very important for me. I don’t know if Christian has controls for Windows.

No. They are Mac, Windows, and Linux.

All plugins are compiled for all platforms.
But some classes or controls are only for one platform.
Please check in documentation.