Matching Parenthesis Flashing for Dummies

I don’t know how I never noticed it before or when it was added, but when you type a closing parenthesis, the matching opening parenthesis becomes briefly selected to help you with syntax.

This may be a well-known IDE feature, but just in case someone else is as oblivious as I was until recently, I offer it here. Commence the shaming. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes it can be very helpful. BBEdit does it too as well as, I expect, others.

I was really happy when they added this as I have always had a hard time following long lines with tons of parens. That’s why I got in the habit of adding whitespace to my parens years ago, like this:

shakeItUp( florence + theMachine )

My brain more easily sees the start and end parens like that for some reason, but the flashing of matching open/close has definitely helped in that regard.

I would prefer an option to add the closing parentheses when adding the opening one. Putting the insert point in between them of course.

2 Likes

But only if, as other environments do, it would overwrite that ending character if/when I type it myself.

1 Like

in other ides i use a background color to see the matching brackets better.

I searched in the release notes, but found nothing until 2020…

Edit:
NB: I never saw this (Xojo 2021r2.1)
I checked (I add another parameter, looked at the open Parenthesis while I add the Close Parenthesis and it flashed…)
Yes, I never saw that since the release of Xojo 2021r2.1.

But I saw it in the free version of BBEdit (or… BBEdit if this does not exists, I forgot).

PS: nice to have set the actual year/release values in the IDE’s bottom-right…