Managing interruptions

Managing interruptions and respecting calendaring isn’t always possible. So check out tips from my new blog post on how to get back on track!

https://beyondthechaos.biz/managing-interruptions/

How do you all get back on track when daily interruptions get in the way?

turn off slack, discord, the forums, all instant messenger apps, my phone and quit email and post a giant “I’m Busy” notice :slight_smile:

instant messaging is THE biggest source of disruptions since “this will only take a minute” … and an hour later …

• I switch on Do Not Disturb on my Mac and iPhone

• Apps that I have a habit of absent-mindedly opening, like Twitter, get temporarily removed from my Mac’s Dock

• I do use Safari extensively when working (what developer doesn’t?!) but I also have a habit of absent-mindedly going to random websites as a distraction, especially when in the middle of a hard bit of code. So I add the worst offenders to my Mac’s hosts files as loopbacks, temporarily stopping them from loading. It’s enough of a barrier to stop me going to certain sites by “accident”.

Nice ideas @Norman Palardy and @Gavin Smith !

a blinking LED at phone is better than a beep every second …

[quote=461803:@Norman Palardy]turn off slack, discord, the forums, all instant messenger apps, my phone and quit email and post a giant “I’m Busy” notice :slight_smile:

instant messaging is THE biggest source of disruptions since “this will only take a minute” … and an hour later …[/quote]

I completely agree with Normans thoughts and suggestions. All tones, notifications, and visual distractions have caused classical conditioning - For those who have taken psychology courses see: Pavlov’s Dogs.

oh gawd yes !
a phone rings and how many of us are obsessive about answering it ?

dont phone me … if i dont already expect your call your an unknown number and it will go unanswered

I have hearing aids in both ears and one of the downsides is that i have all my devices so that when an alert / notification goes off it makes a sound in my ears. The problem is that Apple in there wisdom have decided that even if you turn the switch off on the side of your idevice or macbook it still sends the alert to the hearing aids. This causes me to jump out of my skin in meetings as i think everyone can hear it when in fact its only me. My business partner sends me text messages when we are in boring meetings just to see me jump!!!