Managing IDE Versions

I have a few versions of Xojo installed, but my go to is 2018r4 for production projects.

I’m interested in trying the latest version, but I’m wondering how to keep 2018r4 as the default for directly opening existing projects.

Also, the open with context menu seems to offer choices of Xojo.exe and Xojo.EXE. Is there a good way to include version info in that context menu?

The default application to open a specific type of file is set at the OS level. With Windows, it should be from Parameters - I must say I haven’t got there for a while.

1 Like

Most importantly (even though not answering your question): backup your files!

The biggest danger will be that when you are saving an older file in a newer version (by mistake or on purpose), that you will not be able any longer to open it in the older version. It is probably best to not only have multiple versions of Xojo installed, but having a versioned backup hierarchy of your most precious files. Especially with binary files there is little chance you will be able to get your work back in the worst case.

When working with multiple Xojo versions I make sure to start only one version of Xojo. If I start and use the wrong version I revert in Cornerstone (SVN).

1 Like

on macOS you can Check our QuickLook Plugin for Xojo Projects

And see which version of the IDE was used:

1 Like

Except he’s clearly on Windows and wants to know which version of the IDE it’s going to open in, not the version it was last saved with.

2 Likes

Hi , can’t you setup and work on docker containers ? Then you have always a defined environment.
Or setup multiple VMS. In old times I was using different hard disks… .
Another option is a tool like gclient ( depot tools from chromium project). Everything is defined in a deps file, which is also checked in. And the starting point is always a glient sync … .
HTH
BR Rainer

I am on Windows.

I figured out that if I install the latest, then reinstall 2018r4 (my production choice), 2018r4 is the default in the event I just open a project without thinking about it. This works for me.

I use Git, and my code sits on 3 machines, so I feel I have a backup. I also make a copy of my Git folder periodically.