Making a HTTPSecureSocket connection via a SOCKS5 proxy

Hi Everyone,

I’m wondering if anyone knows of a good way to route an HTTPSecureSocket connection over a SOCKS5 proxy? Specifically, I need to route it over the Tor network and it’s proving a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. While I realize I could write the data out to a file then use something like a C# console app (which does support SOCKS5 proxying), that seems kind of nasty and I’d rather keep the whole solution Xojo.

I’d rather do this in Xojo because it’s for a client and they are very averse to spending money but, if I had to, I’d be open to an affordable plugin suggestion.

Can anyone help?

Our MBS CURL Plugin should do SOCKS proxies.
Maybe worth a try?

Thanks for the quick reply, Christian. That might be an option. It seems like a stable plugin and does what I want. Plus, I can see using it for a bunch of future projects. I’m downloading and trying it out now. Thanks again!

Have you tried the new Framework HTTPSocket? It automatically uses the system configured proxy settings.

Greg:

I’ve looked at it but the problem is that this isn’t a systemwide proxy. It’s Tor so I’m needing to specifically point at it. It looks like I’m going to use either a client/server architecture or maybe a .NET COM object (which, of course, means it will be Windows-only).

RB-libcURL works perfectly with socks5 and is open source.

Thank you!

How did you get along with this ?

I’ve found myself needing to use TOR from inside a Xojo project so I wrote a TOR controller and SOCKS5 module as I kind of need full control over the source for this project as I’m going to release it under whichever open license I end up deciding on.