macOS 64 bit build on Windows?

That is my decision!
I use a Mac and offer my software for Windows and Linux without testing it before. So far this was no problem.

I plan to update Xojo 2019 to the next version, if Apple Silicone is supported. If I then can’t create programs for Linux and Windows anymore (on my Mac), I will think about it thoroughly.

This is not the kind of cross-platform programming I know so far and want to continue!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Xojo has no problems building apps for Windows and Linux from Mac and I bet a future version will allow us to build for Apple Silicone.

Xojo hat keine Probleme, Anwendungen für Windows und Linux von Mac aus zu entwickeln, und ich wette, dass wir mit einer zukünftigen Version auch für Apple Silicone bauen können.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I started this topic a few days ago after my upgrade from Lite version to Desktop version.
I was very disappointed, but now I hear the problem would be temporary, so i look forward to a fix.
I just hope it will be resolved before my new license expires.
The good thing about the upgrade : I can now save in text and xml format, if this was already necessary.
As a hobby programmer I try to keep my costs as low as possible, all the more because I don’t receive any money for my apps…

Regards
Etienne

Good day I just bought the Desktop version 2020r2 and it does not build for MacOS in my Linux
But build for Windows and Linux nice and swell.

I wish that they could update their webpage and inform us about that. I feel screwed.

Daniel

I agree they should be more clear about that… It used to be possible at least to build for Mac on Windows (don’t know on Linux) and they hope to make it possible sometime in the future - but they don’t know when

If it bothers you enough, just get a refund.

-Karen

Hmmm will think about that. The thing is that they still advertise as is.

Not anymore. Each feature on the Buy page now has a popup note and we now point out now that Apple requires a Mac in order to build for Mac.

2 Likes

I’ll live with it,

Thanks for the response and good day.

Hopefully the issue that prevents building for Mac from other platforms (a compiler issue) will be resolved in a future update covered by your licence.

As I can see those owning a MasOs can fully comoile to Linux and Windows and those NOT owning a Mac are penalised.

You can’t codesign from windows, you’d always need a mac to do so. Why would you think it’s different even if xojo could compile (as 32-bit could in the past)?

It’s not really xojo’s fault that this isn’t possible (or at least very hard to do).

Better buy a cheap mac.

2 Likes

Plenty of them about.
I have an MBP 2015 with a damaged screen that works great as a Mini running Big Sur…
Can be picked up for peanuts.

1 Like

Or use a VM:

2 Likes

Regardless of the dev tool, it’s irresponsible to release software for a platform you don’t have access to. Doesn’t matter if it’s Xojo, Java, or Electron. If you’re making software for a platform, you’d better be able to test on that platform. Even though I have no interest in Android, when it comes possible to develop a cross platform mobile app in Xojo, you’d better believe I’ll be buying some Android device.

5 Likes

If the AWS EC2 for macOS works like Windows/Linux it costs you nothing if you power down (Stop) the Instance ie do all your development for macOS on a Windows box then, at the end, power up the Instance, Build, test, Codesign, etc. Then Stop the Instance. This should cost you only ¢’s.

A mac1 instance CPU use costs less than US$1.09 PER HOUR. Will cost a bit more adding more resources. Let’s suppose you reach $1.20 per hour (because storage, etc for example), a 10 minutes session would cost you $0.20.

You should contact Xojo and request a refund.

@Michel_Bujardet
Xojo asked me if I wanted a refund. That was a very nice gesture.
I did not go into that because there are 2 other important advantages to a Desktop version over a Lite version, that i wanted to keep anyway.
It can build on 2 PC’s and it can save in text format.

Regards

So they are not all evil, after all :smiley:

You know, if you need a Mac to build, you can find some dirt cheap ones over eBay, or even Amazon (search for “used Mac”).

Unfortunately I believe Apple have insisted on a minimum of 24hrs per instance and they cover it in the dedicated hosts page.

Dedicated Hosts – The instances are launched as EC2 Dedicated Hosts with a minimum tenancy of 24 hours. This is largely transparent to you, but it does mean that the instances cannot be used as part of an Auto Scaling Group.