macOS 11 :-)

Interesting read:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/03/30/os-x-10114-hidden-framework-hints-apple-could-rebrand-it-as-macos

Oh lord I hope they don’t stick with the casing as is. It works for code but that’s one hideous looking brand.

Mac OS 11 would be okay to me though.

[quote=256392:@Tim Parnell]Oh lord I hope they don’t stick with the casing as is. It works for code but that’s one hideous looking brand.
[/quote]
At least it’s not ‘winCE’

I always loved the lineup at about the CE point in time
CE, ME, NT :slight_smile:

Or OS XI.

The casing would take some getting used to for those of us who have been around the Mac forever. But it does make sense.

Plus, it eases my OCD. I like uniformity!

[quote=256407:@Norman Palardy]I always loved the lineup at about the CE point in time
CE, ME, NT :)[/quote]
Never saw that before :slight_smile:

Seeing how Apple works…

Welcome to Mac OS XI Sequioa. Intel is being deprecated in favour of the new ARM X-MP series of 128-bit processors. Carbon, Cocoa and the like are being terminated in favour of the new Calypso API with no migration path planned at this time, and Objective-C is to be phased out in favour of the upgraded language Objective-D. Applescript and Javascript will no longer be available, but there will be the new iScript, compatible across all Apple devices.

As long as the next major release will be OS XI and not OS XII, apple doesn’t go the Microsoft way and drop a Major release number like Windows 8.1 --> Windows 10.

[quote=256499:@Peter Job]Seeing how Apple works…

Welcome to Mac OS XI Sequioa. Intel is being deprecated in favour of the new ARM X-MP series of 128-bit processors. Carbon, Cocoa and the like are being terminated in favour of the new Calypso API with no migration path planned at this time, and Objective-C is to be phased out in favour of the upgraded language Objective-D. Applescript and Javascript will no longer be available, but there will be the new iScript, compatible across all Apple devices.[/quote]
You jest; yet are are not far wrong… Anything other 64-Bit Cocoa is unofficially deprecated, Objective-C is deprecated in favor of Swift and with App Sandboxing, Apple Script is pretty much defunct, replaced with NSServices.

Apple’s 9X chips are more powerful than Intel’s low power chips used in the 2015 MacBook, so I could easily see an ARM based laptop in the near future.

[quote=256646:@Sam Rowlands]You jest; yet are are not far wrong… Anything other 64-Bit Cocoa is unofficially deprecated, Objective-C is deprecated in favor of Swift and with App Sandboxing, Apple Script is pretty much defunct, replaced with NSServices.

Apple’s 9X chips are more powerful than Intel’s low power chips used in the 2015 MacBook, so I could easily see an ARM based laptop in the near future.[/quote]

That is very interesting - I am not current on the Apple world to be honest. I got tired of all the change about 10 years ago and gave up, having gone from 68K to PPC, from OS 7/8 to X, then Intel came along and I decided ( after cursing Apple for not having moved to Intel when they should have ) to give up on them. Now I am stuck with the ghastly Microsoft but at least my favourite programs from the previous century still run. Every 2 years or so I again see if I could live on Linux on the desktop without luck - I trained on Unix (SVR4 I think ) in the 80s, but I could just not be bothered with “Oh! you want to install Wombat 4.0.1.112? That has 500 dependencies which in turn have 200 more, and you’ll have to recompile your kernel 4 times.”

Centos 6 with GUI is pretty reasonable
Installing extras is still a challenge but thats true of every linux distro
I believe its still why Linux does not dominate desktops
Its still far too hard for most consumers and they are who have to be targeted as they vastly outnumber developers/geeks

Now that Mac convulsions have kind of stabilized, it is a very nice Unix box.