Mac Pro (2009) CPU Upgrade

This weekend I updated the CPU in my 2009 Mac Pro. If this interests you, I wrote about the process here:

Very interesting. I don’t get the strange form of the new MacPro either. What is the first thing a pro user is going to do? Buy a second harddisk or a third.

How much faster is compiling in Xojo now? Because this is THE speed factor for me.

I didn’t do Xojo compile-time tests. I don’t expect much better than a 15% improvement for 32-bit builds since those use just a single core. 64-bit builds use multiple cores, so those will benefit from the 2 additional cores.

Many thanks for this detailed report.

I myself will upgrade a MacPro early 2008 in afew weeks. It is used as a server (so the slow CPU doesn’t matter that much). I ordered two Sonnet Tempo SSDs cards (plus two SSDs of course) to overcome the 3GB SATA limit of the early 2008 models. Will be interesting to see if this lives up to the reports I found from others having done this. I’m still amazed how well designed the interior of a MacPro is (or was, as Apple is killing all great products they had like the 17" MacBook with antiglare screen).

The 2009/2010/2012 Mac Pro also has a 3Gbps limit on the SATA ports. I have two SSDs in mine. One is on a SATA port, the other is on an OWC PCI card. They are not the same model SSD, but the one on the PCI card is over twice as fast (500MBps).

On the topic of upgrading a 2009 Mac Pro, I gotta say that it is totally worth it to upgrade the graphics card. I put a GTX 980 in and hooked up a Dell 4K display and it’s amazing.

The only snag is that you won’t have graphics until the OS has kicked in and loaded the NVidia drivers, since the OS drivers are ancient and don’t support cards using NVidia’s Maxwell architecture. That also means that system updates need to be handled carefully because NVidia’s drivers are version locked to the OS and the only way to get the new drivers after an update is to toss in the original graphics card or do it over remote desktop.

I like the “tad expensive” bit about the new iMac :slight_smile:
For comparison a 5K outfitted as :
27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
32GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - four 8GB
1TB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory

In USD is $4099 (basically updated everything right from the factory)

In CDN $ is 5159 :frowning:

And with the drop in the CDN $ vs USD I expect they’ll adjust that price soon to make it more expensive

Good info, Joe! I hadn’t considered that 4K would be an option.

A “flashed” GTX 980 (which prevents the black screen at startup) is about $580 on eBay. Joe also mentioned to me that the GTX 960 can also do 4K. It’s about $385 on eBay.

Yikes!

Yikes

That one predates my Mac ownership by a couple years. The first Mac I owned was the “PowerMac Digital Audio”.