Mac noteplayer overhaul

As programming and music making go hand in hand, I’d like to bring up something about the note player.

It’s a very, very useful piece of kit that works pretty well - at least in windows.
For the Mac, anybody that has left snow leopard behind will find that it is extremely low volume, buried in reverb and generally almost useless for any kind of music app.

I’m not complaining, I’m begging :slight_smile:

Perhaps, delving into the AV tool that seems all the rage right now - it might be a bit bulkier, but the windows part can stay the same - the mac part needs to change. I don’t know C so, I’m not going to be able to do it - but RB developers… what do you think?

Okay - so I had a go at compiling my app with cocoa - The midi problem cleared way up and all the controls suddenly got sexier - but since my app began to crash like never before, I had to go back to carbon.

However, when the cocoa stuff is as solid as the carbon builds, then I, for one, will be a happy camper!

The crash comes from using a discontinued feature of Christian’s quicktime plugin that wasn’t still working in carbon (QTMovieExporterMBS)- and there were a few wild and crazy things that happened that shouldn’t have happened.

Has anybody got something that will export quicktime sound files as mp4’s?

What sort of crashes? Only crashes relating to MBS plugins?

Actually, anykind of quicktime action usually sends it reeling. I saved a cocoa version and I’ve been going thru my app, (which is huge and awesome) and tidying up the controls (making radio buttons, checkboxes full size (usually they need to be cropped because in design using carbon what it looks like is not what it looks like in run time).

My carbon runs just fine (minus the crappy noteplayer problem which does great in cocoa).
It’s going to wait until cocoa gets this problem with quick player control sussed out (or some sort of great alternative).

Until then I’ll release the carbon version and try and not have people bummed out about the midi notes being 1/4 full volume)

[quote=37790:@Sean Clancy]Actually, anykind of quicktime action usually sends it reeling. I saved a cocoa version and I’ve been going thru my app, (which is huge and awesome) and tidying up the controls (making radio buttons, checkboxes full size (usually they need to be cropped because in design using carbon what it looks like is not what it looks like in run time).

My carbon runs just fine (minus the crappy noteplayer problem which does great in cocoa).
It’s going to wait until cocoa gets this problem with quick player control sussed out (or some sort of great alternative).

Until then I’ll release the carbon version and try and not have people bummed out about the midi notes being 1/4 full volume)[/quote]

You should file bug reports in Feedback about your Cocoa problems, assuming they aren’t caused by the MBS plugins.

[quote=37779:@Sean Clancy]For the Mac, anybody that has left snow leopard behind will find that it is extremely low volume, buried in reverb and generally almost useless for any kind of music app.
[/quote]

Unfortunately this was a problem in Snow Leopard itself (and I think Leopard too) - it’s not a Xojo issue, per se. It’s well-documented elsewhere.

Hi Gavin - I heard that too… If there is a problem that Snow Leopard had, it was a good problem to have as It seems to be working in Snow Leopard at full volume. In Lion it bellied up - and now I’ve got Mountain Lion 10.8.5, It still doesn’t work.

So, Although we’ve heard that this is not a Xojo problem, noteplayer is a xojo tool and the only midi problem I’ve ever heard on a mac comes from this. It’s been unfantastic for 2 major OS releases from Apple (I like Apple, but no problems whatsoever with windows and midi!)