Mac App Store, Direct link to write review

Hey,
I wanted to add a menu in an app in MAS that would take the user directly into Mac App Store’s Add Review section and I found this:
macappstore://userpub.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZUserPublishing.woa/wa/addUserReview?id=723330958

It seems to work just fine in Mavericks but not on older systems. App Store launches but it says there’s no internet connection…
Any ideas if there’s a solution for “older than Mavericks” systems or should I just use the standard link to the app if thats the case?

I don’t think you’ll have much luck, since this famously hasn’t been available before.

There’s been a lot of discussion lately about how much of a bad practice it is to pop-up dialogs for the users to add reviews, and this item came up frequently. The point being precisely that if it was possible to just link to the “write review” section could be added in a non-intrusive way, the apps could have less of a ham-fisted approach to the whole thing.

Clicking on that link (or, rather, on one for an app I own) takes me to the Add User Review page, although this is not obvious because the screen doesn’t scroll so it seems to just be the normal item.

There’s not gonna be any dialogs to ask the user for a review, only a link in the Help menu of the app.
But you’re right though it might not seem obvious as the store isn’t scrolling down automatically…hmm…

[quote=68936:@Albin Kiland]There’s not gonna be any dialogs to ask the user for a review, only a link in the Help menu of the app.
But you’re right though it might not seem obvious as the store isn’t scrolling down automatically…hmm…[/quote]

Yeah, sorry. I didn’t mean to say that you were going to do pop-ups, but that because of pop-ups (in iOS apps, too) the discussion had been popular these last weeks.

The problem with it not scrolling is that the top view doesn’t look particularly different nor does it hint at the review form being opened.

I disagree about it being bad practice. You practically have to do it if you want good ratings. Otherwise the only people that bother to find out how to leave a rating are the ones that are pissed off about something.

I’ve never heard any complains from the people rating my apps, and they are generally very well reviewed.

It’s OK. We can disagree. No problem there :slight_smile:

What I’d like to do is hear your side of the argument but I can’t find any of the discussions you were talking about.