Lost in Shell encoding hell (Shell, Evernote)

Hi there… I’m a bit lost in encoding hell…

Here’s the thing…

I’m trying to create a new Note in Evernote using the enscript.exe

Problem is with encodings of Umlauts and special characters.

This example…

Sub Action()
  dim sh as New Shell

Dim Command As String

// Creating the Shell-Command
  Command = "echo. 2>&1 | " + chr(34) + "c:\\Program Files\\Evernote\\Evernote\\ENScript.exe" + chr(34) + " createNote "
  Command = Command + "/t " + chr(34) + "Römer" + chr(34)

// Changing the encoding to WindowsANSI
  Command = ConvertEncoding(Command, Encodings.WindowsANSI)

System.DebugLog Command

sh.Execute(Command)

System.DebugLog sh.Result
End Sub

…should create a new Note, tagged with “Römer” (which translates to “romans” in english and is only an example).

But the Result in Evernote is “Römer” and that’s obviously an encodings issue.

Why? Xojo is using UTF8 internally. Using ConvertEncoding to convert to WindowsANSI in every other project works when executing shell commands. I really don’t understand what’s going wrong here.

Entering the Command directly into the Windows Command Prompt works without any issues.

I bet I’m overlooking something but I’m not seeing it (and I’m playing around for some hours now)…

Details:

• Windows 7 German
  • Xojo 2015 2.2

What happens if you skip ConvertEncoding entirely?

Hi!

Sorry, forgot to mention this. It looks exactly the same. That’s why I put the Convert-Line in the code but it seems to do nothing in this case.

Pascal

I’m thinking your string did NOT start out UTF-8, because everything I can find shows those characters as part of the UTF-8 encoding.
And that the encoding you are selecting is undoing that.
Try to replace Encodings.WindowsANSI by using UTF-8 explictity

I’m thinking that it’s sort of an opposite problem. The shell needs WindowsANSI, but Evernote is expecting UTF-8. To test, try this:

// Creating the Shell-Command
  Command = "echo. 2>&1 | " + chr(34) + "c:\\Program Files\\Evernote\\Evernote\\ENScript.exe" + chr(34) + " createNote "
  Command = Command + "/t "
  dim s as string = """Römer"""
  Command = Command.ConvertEncoding( Encodings.WindowsANSI ) + s.DefineEncoding( Encodings.WindowsANSI )

BTW, when you check the string after you’ve forced the encoding to WindowsANSI, you’ll find it’s the same bogus characters as in your errant result.

I am seeing places that reccomend doing this before you sent the UTF-8 string

chcp 65001

Change Code Page

That creates “Römer” in Evernote.

Evernote is (to my knowledge) expecting UTF8 for files to be added as new note content. When using cmd.exe and typing in the Command-String…

echo. 2>&1 | "c:\\Program Files\\Evernote\\Evernote\\ENScript.exe" createNote /t "Römer"

…by hand everything is WindowsANSI and all special characters are correct.

That creates the exact same result “Römer”

[quote=199912:@Dave S]I am seeing places that reccomend doing this before you sent the UTF-8 string

chcp 65001

Change Code Page[/quote]

Pascal, did you try this?

Result when sending UTF8 to the Shell: “Römer”
Result when sending WindowsANSI to the Shell: “Römer”

Same odd stuff :frowning:

I think the Shell is converting the command to UTF-8 first. Try defining the encoding as nil and see what happens.

Sorry, let me clarify. Convert the entire command to WindowsANSI, then define the encoding as nil.

That looks somewhat similar to https://forum.xojo.com/13176-shell-output-encoding-problem/0

I just downloaded Evernote and will try to experiment a but further.

You’re my hero of the day :slight_smile:

That’s it. Works :slight_smile:

Just to explain why (I think) that works, it seems the Shell class is converting to UTF-8 before sending it to the shell, but the shell expects WindowsANSI. By defining the encoding as nil, the Shell class can’t convert it and the shell is properly interpreting the raw bytes as WindowsANSI.

Kem Tekinay:

Can you explain what below comment means in code?
“then define the encoding as nil.”