Looking for Xojo book

@Norman Palardy , if Xojo become mainstream technology, then publishers might publish books again, and I do think it is possible. I have been searching here and there for tools to build business applications, Xojo is the best one I can find at the moment. And business application development is one of the very important area in software development. I think Xojo is going to the correct direction.

In the past, virtual studio, power builder, delphi, filemaker, these are very good tool for business application, but these tools are old, and can only build windows application, now building mobile application and web application and API to connect to other business is more important then building internal use application.

I have been using filemaker for many years, the reason I gave up filemaker is it has a lot of limitations, the biggest reason is it can build web application but I need to buy concurrent user license for web users, this is totally non sense for my case, I am working in a travel agency, the application I build is for member management for internal use, and one interface for people to book our service, but how can I know how many internet user will use our website to register “at the same time”, maybe there will have 1000 user using at the same time but that only happen once in a year, and I have to purchase 1000 software license regard we are a 10 employee company.

After I left filemaker, I have been trying to learn different tool, node.js, python, ROR, these are great but they are for web entrepreneur, too slow for building business application, virtual studio, power builder, delphi are good for business application but they are designed for windows developer, not for me as a Mac user, Xamarin is great for mobile application, but can not build web solution, I still have to learn node.js to build web interface if I use Xamarin, Java can build anything but it require JVM to run everywhere, and JVM is slow, native app is not possible for Java. Then I find Xojo, a great tool can build web, native app for windows, mac, ios, and can build application very fast like filemaker, in software development, the most expensive thing is “developers time”. Save 30% of developer’s time, will save a fortune. That is why I decide to stay with Xojo, and I believe Xojo will become mainstream, when it support Android.

Just bought one book from RBLibrary, Beginning Xojo Web Programming by Eugene, Thanks for everyone’s advice, only Eugene’s book is a lot to read.

“REALbasic Cross-Platform Application Development” Some of the examples won’t work any more. but he explains the XML and regular expressions very well.

“Ramblings on RealBasic” is a good book when your are already into RealBasic / Xojo. For beginners I will not recommend it. Consider the book to be more like many notes combined to a book. Not written the same way as other books

Real OOP with Realbasic by Guyren G Howe. Electronic version which you can buy through google… Very well written for those that want to know more about Object Oriented Programming.

That’s just my 2 cents

Did you look at this bottom of page data ?

Did you know about the video trainin by Bob ?
(look at the above page for the details).

Thanks for everyone’s help, I bought the omegabundle, and I received total every volume of xdev magazine, and I bought one book of Eugene, a lot to read now.

I am thinking to go to Xojo event.

If you do, please introduce yourself. I’ll be presenting a session on using graphics in Xojo.

That is excellent! My goal with the magazine is that over time we’ll have articles on every topic, and we publish new things every two months. Books take 6+ months to write and everything’s outdated by the time you finish. The Omegabundle’s a great way to get all the xDev back issues.

Marc, Thanks for your work, I will print them out and read them all, hope one day xdev will have Chinese language version.

If you want other options in the future, one book I can strongly recommend is Ramblings on Realbasic by Aaron Ballman. I bought it a few days ago and it is great (bought it from great-white-software.com/rblibrary/ of Norman). After reading it you will have a better understanding of Xojo.

@Ashot Khachatryan , Thanks, how many pages of that book?

+1 for Ramblings.

550 pages

I think you can still order a printed one from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Ramblings-REALbasic-Aaron-Ballman/dp/0615316034/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423340814&sr=8-1&keywords=ramblings+on+realbasic

Its more expensive that way but it is already printed :slight_smile:

I bought the electronic version and have it on my iPad. Great for the occasional 5 min of spare time or in the bus.

I have the book, pdf and all the original HTML blog posts plus a few that didn’t make the book :slight_smile:

Norm the Pack Rat :slight_smile:

Uhhhh. Jealous now!

Thanks Norman, but I am living in Taiwan, if I order from Amazon, the shipping cost will be more the the book price, I will buy the PDF version and print it out to read. So many people recommend on this book, I have to buy it.

Ah … shipping costs
I can sympathize as I live right next tho the USA in Canada and there are days I feel like I might as well live on the moon as shipping from Amazon USA is expensive
It’s one reason I don’t usually shop Amazon

print them all out, 73 issues

[quote=170696:@Tunghua TAi]
print them all out, 73 issues[/quote]

Now that’s impressive! :slight_smile:

i rather read them on my iPad Mini…