Long term storage. What do you use, how do you do?

I have one broken USB memory stick that no longer will read. (I think I may pulled it out too fast…)
One Western DIgital MyBook hard drive that will no longer load. (Reason? Old? I don’t know.)
All old CDs are working, as far as I know, but I have no computer with a working drive! :slight_smile:

How do you solve long term storage!?
I was actually thinking of using some cloud storage. But questions for me are:

1. Where are these things stored!?
  2. Do I wish all my information end up in the USA?
  3. Privacy, digital traces…

Main thing for me is, work files and photos.
I’ve now bought an external SSD drive that hopefully will cooperate for a long time… But only time will tell!

Maybe I’ll just buy a new external SSD drive every 6 or 12 months and use as long term storage? They are not so expensive these days…
But question is, will an old SSD drive still keep memory after 10-15 years in the closet!?

I/we(my company) use 4 drive NAS machines for storage. 2 of them in fact.
One to host files and our SVN Repos and other stuff. We don’t really want our and our customers project files to be stored in the cloud. As we all know: “There is no cloud. It’s just someone else’s computer” :wink:
Files can be accessed from all computers in and outside of the network. I abandoned portable storage devices like USB sticks/CDs/HDDs years ago…

Every night it makes a backup of itself to the other off-site NAS.
And remember: Backup, backup, backup :wink:

Why did you buy one drive and not 2? Everything needs a backup.

For the rest I use Crashplan. 50$ a year and the NSA can do with my data what they want.

Thanks the gods my MacPro is so heavy. My camera was stolen last weekend by a burglar but the cheapo Windows brick laptop and my large and heavy MacPro are weren’t touched.

Happened to me. I have a WD Passport that no longer wants to mount on Mac, but still works perfectly on PC. I also have a pesky PNY USB stick that refuses to cooperate with a Mac. If inserted in a Mac USB, the Mac sees it as not formatted, and if I format it, then it does not recognizes it anyway. It works fine on PC.

I had a few external hard drives dying on me, but on average, they have been holding fine for the 7 years or so I started using them. Including a couple 3.5" that came from older PCs that I placed in external enclosures.

So the hardware holds. But my fear is some burglary or a fire, or some other catastrophe. So I use to put a disk in the bank safe. Even if it is not perfectly up to date, I know I can find it back in case of absolute loss.

Finally, I use the Google Drive folder for certain things I really could not loose. The most confidential are encrypted with TrueCrypt.

All right.
I now realise we have discussed these things earlier… Or, the similar topic.

I work home and I have limited resources.
Albin, how do you solve it at home? For me, it’s a more relevant aspect! :slight_smile:

I fear the cloud, but some things I do not mind sharing. The Xojo project, as an example.
It’s kind of complicated for a person to figure out how it works…

Personal photos are more sensitive since they need nothing complicated to be used.
Logotypes is another issue. I don’t mind storing in the cloud. I truly doubt NSA care about logotypes!

In general, “just work”…
Phew! I need to think more about these things!!
Thank you for the input!

A DVD burner is cheap (€30-40), a BluRay burner is around €90 (for archival purposes).

I asked a similar question (how safety a CD-DVD can be) and get an answer to buy safest disc build (warranty for 1000 years). price is a bit high, but not for sensible data youngsters who will be here in 50-60 years (not my case).

Make a search in this forum to get the data about these pro discs.

[quote=220465:@Jakob Krabbe]I work home and I have limited resources.
Albin, how do you solve it at home? For me, it’s a more relevant aspect! :-)[/quote]
Exactly the same way. My personal NAS at home backs itself up to an off-site one :slight_smile:
All computers in the apartment use Time Machine to the NAS.…so even the Time Machine data gets backed up.

Make sure you also store the reader for those disks somewhere. Don’t think you’ll find it in stock in a thousand years…or even 50 :wink:

In the house here I backup via TimeMachine on the mac both to a drobo attached to a Mac server. It alternates that with a regular disk attached to a TimeCapsule/airport. The NAS on the server isn’t 100% reliable, for some reason sometimes time machine will corrupt the backup and after that it will refuse to mount even though it throws no errors locally or anywhere else until you try to recover something. I consider that somewhat criminal that a backup can fail silently but having been in charge of tape backups for previous employers in the far distant past I know this isn’t just a time machine problem… So after adding in the super expensive RAID on the server I had to go back to also backing up to the single disk time capsule. TimeMachine will happily alternate backups between several NAS drives so now I have both but regularly check them to make sure they are still valid.

Just locally every night a Carbon Copy Cloner script backs up my projects directory with all my code and projects to an sd card that I keep in the built in reader on the machine against an internal hard drive glitch or my own just accidentally overwriting or deleting something. recovering from time machine on a non-local machine is slow…

I have experimented with various external backup solutions, but I work out of the house and so I’m limited to Comcasts bandwidth cap. I recently gave up on backfire or whatever that service is called. Their Mac software looks excellent but you can only select what you don’t want to backup, not what you want to backup. So my couple of gig of work files would have to be isolated after selecting everything else on the machine as not to backup and I’d have to throttle the upload so slow as to not have comcast lock me out that I just gave up. It would have taken 4 months to get an initial backup if I wasn’t going to get warning popups from them.

So for offsite of work files I have also setup a nightly sync of my projects folder to my dropbox folder. I will not work inside of my dropbox folder and have it do it in real time, there are too many potential problems with that, not to mention that it then uploads constantly and wastes your bandwidth too.

For my family pictures and movies and such I make DVD data copies, but again they are stored locally. When we visit grandma in another state regularly I have a really big backup disk there that I sync it all to when we visit. I might lose a few months if all backups here failed and the house burned down or was carried away in a hurricane and I was not able to salvage anything. Visiting her regularly means that i know that backup was exercised and working rather than just mailing her one and leaving it there for 10 years without powering it up.

I keep meaning to do better, and it’s probably time to replace the disk at Grandmas with a fresh one… Though older disks that lived through their break in/infant mortality period tend to last quite a while, nothing lasts forever.

Even less than 50. I had a big box of 3.5" diskettes I just dumped recently. None of my current machines is able to read them anyway.

There are two iOmega ZIP Drives here in a box.
They are heading for the same fate as the diskettes…they were never as popular though :wink:

[quote=220493:@Albin Kiland]There are two iOmega ZIP Drives here in a box.
They are heading for the same fate as the diskettes…they were never as popular though ;)[/quote]

Years ago I had a content of those, and did store the reader. When I exhumed the reader a couple years later, it had died. iOmega was the most frightening technology anyway…