Long compiling times

Anyone else experiencing even longer compiling times with 2016 r1? My app is taking 20 to 30 minutes to compile the first time.

Is this for 32-bit or 64-bit?

32 bit … just waited almost 50 minutes for a compile

This is very unexpected. Could you take a few samples of the IDE during the compile and make a Feedback case with them?

Did you try to reboot?
I remember struggling for a few days with very long (32 bit) compile times after I installed 2015R3.
Then after a reboot, all was ok.

After a reboot it goes down to 20 minutes

I’ve no idea what this means: This is very unexpected. Could you take a few samples of the IDE during the compile and make a Feedback case with them?

What platform are you seeing this on?

windows 10 64 bit

Windows, perhaps? Over active virus checker?

Is your project located on a network share?

To gather profiling information on Windows:

• Download the latest release of UIforETW
  • Unzip, launch etwpackage\bin\UIforETW.exe, and click “Start Tracing”
  • Press Ctrl-Win-C after the event in question

The tool is very low overhead and uses a circular buffer, so it can be kept running all of the time. Depending on system activity, there’ll be around 5-500 seconds of data available. The author of the tool has a more in-depth overview on recording ETW traces or, if you want a lot more information, a whole series of blog posts on ETW.

I’ve also made a screen recording showing how to take an ETW trace. The resulting trace file can be attached to a Feedback case so that we can analyze it to see what’s triggering the slowdowns.

That’s a REALLY long compile time. My largest project includes all sorts of external files in the binary packages in copyfiles steps, and has somewhere north of 75k lines of source. It compiles in under a minute.

Something smells massively wrong with your setup.

I’ve wondered if I have too many web styles.

My app file is on my desktop, not a network. I use Norton 360 for virus checking and turning it off doesn’t help any.

What setup choices do I have?

[quote=258518:@John Scanlan]I’ve wondered if I have too many web styles.

My app file is on my desktop, not a network. I use Norton 360 for virus checking and turning it off doesn’t help any.

What setup choices do I have?[/quote]

I doubt extremely much the number of WebStyles changes much. They should require very little processing, since they are just lists of properties, and not executable code.

Have you installed and run UIforETW Joe advised you to do ? That may help find out where is the bottleneck.

I have, but since it takes 20-50 minutes to compile, I’m not sure I’m catching the problem.

Taking the profile at any point during that period should shed enough light on the problem to either fix it or narrow down what extra information is needed.

Did you try to boot on a different User / hard disk ?

Can be a hard disk mess (corrupted).

So I’ve got some traces using 2015r4.1. Have no idea how to read them :slight_smile:

The trace would need to be from 2016r1, since that’s where the slowdown in question is happening.

When you have the trace, just file a Feedback report with it attached.

The slow compiling happens in 2015r4 too. It’s just much longer in 2016. … and only in the first compile after loading.