Lock/Unlock Array Questions

In my plugin initializer, I create an array and store it in my ClassData. I was going to lock it but soon realized that REALLockObject does not function on a REALArray and that there is no specific lock array method.

How do I lock an array? I should in this case, shouldn’t I?

Also, when a new item is created in my plugin, I return the new item but also place it in the array for access later for various reasons. The new item is created by REALnewInstance. I lock the new instance before I return it to the caller, should I lock it twice since I am

1. adding it to my ClassData array
  2. returning it to the caller?

you can cast REALarray to REALobject.

REALnewInstance gives +1 reference count. Adding to array adds another reference. So after adding, you need to release the reference.

I’m a bit confused. I’m dealing with two variables here.

1. The actual array. I create this in my class Initializer method using REALCreateArray. The result of that, I call REALLockObject on because I am keeping it around, putting it in my ClassData.
  2. An item that is created my one of my class methods, say newObj. This newObj is created using REALnewInstance, so it has +1 on the lock. I then add it to the array, so it gets another +1 for a total of +2, correct? That seems correct in my case because I return newObj to the user. So they have a copy (+1) and I have a copy in the array (+1). I wouldn’t want to unlock in this case, would I?
  1. after REALCreateArray, you don’T need an extra lock, as it is already locked.
  2. you unlock your local reference when you are done.

OK, I really hope this is the last question, but how do you append to the array? I have tried loading the object method:

void (*aAppend)(REALobject, REALobject) = (void (*)(REALobject, REALobject)) REALLoadObjectMethod((REALobject) me->mObjs, "Append(o As Object)");

but that always returns NULL.

the SDK has array functions…
Did you try the insert function with right index?

I was under the impression the index had to already exist, otherwise you would get an out of bounds exception? i.e. I created my array with a size of -1 and want to append to the array now.

Huh, that’s weird. I never knew you could do that. For the fun of it, I did:

REALInsertArray(me->mObjs, REALGetArrayUBound(me->mObjs) + 1, obj)
and all worked great. I then tried some Xojo code, and this works too:

[code]Dim a() As String
a.Insert(a.Ubound + 1, “Hello World”)

MsgBox a(0)[/code]

I never knew that. I was surely expecting an OutOfBounds exception.

Thanks Christian for all your help with this!

Welcome. But before you write all your own plugins, please also check what’s available already.