LLVM with Xojo

On March 1, 2010:
http://www.realsoftwareblog.com/2010/03/compiler-better-stronger-faster.html

In less than 60 days, it will be four years since this announce.

One can ask himself if we are going to get this ?
(beside in XojoScript, and I have doubts about XojoScript when I read the docs)

[before sending this question, I’ve made a simple search and I found one answer:]
The answer is in Feedback case 18526.

But more search says they start on it after the release of 2013r1 (on 2013-01-10).

LLVM is a requirement for iOS builds, so I can tell you that it is in the works.

Goodie goodie :slight_smile:

Greg:
In my searches, I read that, but it was not from a Xojo (RS) employee, so I was asking myself.

Thank you for your answer,

HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Sorry Emile, if this sounds arrogant to you, but right now I have my little daughter here who keeps on nagging : “Daddy, how long does it take? When are we going to be there?” and then, 5 minutes later, the same question again. And again.

So there are more threads like the one you just started, and they all make me think of my daughter.

You know, we will get it when it is available and before that: why should I think about it? We’ll be there when we get there.

Are we there yet ? (Just kidding)

Happy New Year all !!! :slight_smile:

Just to add some URL:s for those who are curious about LLVM:

Startpage LLVM

For newbies:
clang
DragonEgg

[quote=63277:@dave duke]Question really is, can someone learn Java before LLVM is in Xojo. That’s my conundrum.
[/quote]

What could you possibly need from LLVM that makes ditching Xojo a consideration? There might be 3 very specific issues which could remotely justify the cost of switching to a development platform you’re not familiar with, but each has a much less expensive workaround.

(Pardon the numerous edits. I seem to be typing in shorthand today. Chrome autocomplete not working.)

Learn Java - yes at a basic level
The language is small

Be proficient in it & all the libraries & frameworks & other bits for Java
Probably not
Its like Objective-C - the language is easy - being competent in the frameworks that come along with it takes a long time

[quote=56226:@Oliver Osswald]Sorry Emile, if this sounds arrogant to you, but right now I have my little daughter here who keeps on nagging : “Daddy, how long does it take? When are we going to be there?” and then, 5 minutes later, the same question again. And again.

So there are more threads like the one you just started, and they all make me think of my daughter.[/quote]
Hi Oliver,
For your daughter: you are right. Take as many times as you can with her.

For new technologies I can use in Xojo: it will be good for me to see them before I die. This can happens anytime (sooner or later).

[quote=63345:@Emile Schwarz]… For new technologies I can use in Xojo: it will be good for me to see them before I die. …[/quote]If I have a particular need which can not be fulfilled otherwise … then yes, of course.

But in general I try to concentrate on the things available right now. Using the words of Mr. Woody Allen:

[quote=63302:@Norman Palardy]Learn Java - yes at a basic level
The language is small

Be proficient in it & all the libraries & frameworks & other bits for Java
Probably not
Its like Objective-C - the language is easy - being competent in the frameworks that come along with it takes a long time[/quote]
I can say same thing about xojo:

The Lenguage is small. Be proficient in it (xojo) & ALL the libraries & frameworks (well just one) & other bits for -xojo- (Declares, 3parties and xplat) probably not. Its like xojo - the language is easy - being competent in the frameworks that come along with it takes a long time.

I’m studing xojo about 3 years, and I think I know about 30-40%, in this moment I’m studing WE, I have a background in HTML5 and CSS3, and I have to learn some new things, I think the transition from desktop to WE is simple, but it’s not. and it’s frustrating.