Lists, Editable Cell, and I-Bar

I might have broached this long ago, but I forgot…

If I create a Listbox, and make one of the columns, or cells, as TypeEditable, then when I hover over it with a mouse, I get a I-Bar over that column or cell.

Does this bother anyone? It bothers me. I don’t really want to know by mouse-hovering if the column/cell can be edited or not, if that’s what the intention is. At least the Mac Finder agrees with me - you only get the I-Bar when the cell is actually being edited. The current REAL/Xojo behavior looks awful to me. I want I-Bar’s when editing, no time else.

So, if it bothers you, let me know here, so I can feel better. =) But to make me feel even better, please postulate why REAL/Xojo did this. And for ultimate ecstasy (for me), tell me how this behavior can be defeated.

I had to change my listbox cells for usability, but I don’t recall running into this behavior.
What version are you using?

[quote=134105:@Garth Hjelte]If I create a Listbox, and make one of the columns, or cells, as TypeEditable, then when I hover over it with a mouse, I get a I-Bar over that column or cell.

Does this bother anyone? It bothers me. I don’t really want to know by mouse-hovering if the column/cell can be edited or not, if that’s what the intention is. At least the Mac Finder agrees with me - you only get the I-Bar when the cell is actually being edited. [/quote]

Seems like the normal Mac OS X behavior. Whenever your mouse cursor hovers an editable area, you get the caret. For instance in the forum, when you move the cursor over the search box, this happens. Unless I did not understand…

Have you tried ListBox.Editcell instead ?

I just tried with the old Magic Listbox and that doesn’t do it, but I tried on Linux, I wont have access to Mac until later today

That’s a textfield though. Listboxes are OPTIONALLY editable, while textfields by default are meant to be edited. But I know what you mean, it’s an analogous thing. But still, in Finder - probably the ultimate Listbox - it does not happen. And take into account if nothing is selected in the Listbox - you haven’t even got to first base yet.

Not sure the relevance. The point is that the native behavior (internally) of the Listbox is that on MouseEnter or MouseMove the cursor changes on TypeEditable areas.

BTW, just to deflate all balloons, this is a Carbon build behavior. It does not happen in Cocoa builds. I suspect about 99% of the people reading this will move on to another forum topic. =) Sorry to waste your time, but yes, there are still people using Snow Leopard or even Tiger and even PPC computers still.

[quote=134194:@Garth Hjelte] Have you tried ListBox.Editcell instead ?

Not sure the relevance. [/quote]

He means DO NOT set the CellType to editable… Edit the Cell by Calling Listbox.EditCell when the user clicks on it (or whenever you want).

That way when you mouseover the cell, the cursor won’t change.

1 Like

Thanks - although you may not want to know about this, I realized this when I was as in the shower. =) I’ve fixed tons of bugs in the shower, it’s incredible.

I actually had a EditCell call in there from the past, NOW I know why I put it there. I must of put in TypeEditable in later while thinking of something else. It shows why inline documentation is so important.

Thanks - this makes sense, appreciate it. Thanks Michel, Karen.