Listbox issue?

I’m writing a project that requires data to be displayed in a grid, and i’m trying the Listbox built into Xojo. Two questions:

• How do I load an array variable into a cell? I try ‘ListBox1.Cell(ListBox1.LastIndex,1)=gage(1)’ and I get ‘Parameters are not compatible with this function’.

• Is there a way to have the width of each area adjust to fit the contents? I have many 2 digit numbers, and don’t want to have a huge area just for a two-digit number.

Using Windows 8.1, latest version of Xojo.

Thanks!

Listboxes show & hold strings - only strings
So you’ll have to use functions like Format / Cdbl to put the data into the list & get it out

[quote=133723:@Derek DiBenedetto]- Is there a way to have the width of each area adjust to fit the contents? I have many 2 digit numbers, and don’t want to have a huge area just for a two-digit number.
[/quote]
Autoadjust ? No
The listbox would have to have ALL the data then figure out how wide the widest value in a column is and adjust itself to that width.

But you can specify the columns widths so you COULD do that yourself if its important.

Autoadjust
You have to compute the width of each cell in the column(s) [in a loop], then set the largest value to the ColumnWidths Properties.

Many things have to be taking care of while doing that. Check ListBox, Max, For …/… Next, integer to string, string concatenation…

automatic adjust the width of columns

dim source As  Listbox = LB // your ListBox Name
  dim r,c as Integer
  dim pic as new Picture(1,1,32)
  dim g as graphics = pic.Graphics
  dim w as integer
  dim colmax as integer
  dim cw as string = ""
  dim colmin as integer = 25
  dim rows, cols as integer
  dim cc as string

rows = source.ListCount-1
  cols = source.ColumnCount-1

g.TextFont = source.TextFont
  g.TextSize = source.TextSize

for c=0 to cols

if cw <> "" then cw = cw + ","

if source.Heading(c) = ":"  then
      colmax = 0
    else
      colmax = g.StringWidth(source.Heading(c))
      for r=0 to rows
        cc = source.Cell(r,c)
        w = g.StringWidth(cc)
        if w > colmax then colmax = w
      next r
      if colmax < colmin then colmax = colmin
    end if

if colmax <> 0 then
      cw = cw + str(colmax+15)
    else
      cw = cw + "0"
    end if

next c
  source.ColumnWidths = cw

Thanks Axel for sharing, this works pretty well!