Listbox garbled with Direct2D

End of life was 4/9/2013

Dave, there’s not much point talking about EOL when a client of Massimo’s uses the system he is developing for, it doesn’t help. If Xojo supports it then its an issue, it doesn’t matter if its bleeding edge or not, if you don’t have anything constructive to contribute why are you stirring an already tense situation? Tense because Massimo has implemented something for a client that has issues…

End of extended support (under payment) is 2020.

Maybe they are using 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 with Extended Support End Date of 1/14/2020

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows%20Server%202008%20R2

[quote=368709:@Alberto De Poo]Maybe they are using 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 with Extended Support End Date of 1/14/2020

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows%20Server%202008%20R2[/quote]

Exactly.

And btw, it’s not one customer, are MANY, with MANY users. I’m basically hated by hundred of people in these days :smiley:

[quote=368703:@]In that case, here’s the last thing I can think of to fix the problem. If the session is running low on memory it might cause issues.

SessionViewSize is the allocated memory to each session for GUI objects such as fonts, menus, and windows. Increasing this might fix the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/840342/applications-may-not-run-correctly-in-a-terminal-services-environment[/quote]

Maybe, but I’m pretty sure this is an issue with Xojo and specifically with Listbox, due the garbled thing ONLY happens with the listbox. Other controls, aside of flickering issues, are ok.
At the same time ANY other application is OK, and I can assure you there are user using Adobe Illustrator via RDP.

I assume their server is fully patched and have you seen the Windows Update screen to confirm?

Well I’m starving the VM of graphics memory, down to 32MB for the whole machine and no graphical issues other than a slow down in UI speed which I would expect.

Do you have any other controls on that form in screenshot in the original post?

How many rows are there and what is the resolution of the desktop?

If the user disconnects and reconnects does the problem go away?

Why don‘t you use a listbox alternative? There are a few around …

For example https://www.pidog.com/piDogScrollingCanvas/DataView.shtml.

Or if you are using an older Xojo version then even the Einhugur grid will do … but note that there is no update that would work with newer versions.

You could even roll your own …

Fully patched.

[quote=368714:@]Well I’m starving the VM of graphics memory, down to 32MB for the whole machine and no graphical issues other than a slow down in UI speed which I would expect.

Do you have any other controls on that form in screenshot in the original post?

How many rows are there and what is the resolution of the desktop?[/quote]

It only happens with Listboxes and it’s like at one point a part (upper) of the Listbox freeze to a state and show the picture skewed depending on how the listbox is resized.

It happens 3 times out of 5 (just to make it harder to reproduce).
When it happens, resizing the window (and thus refreshing the Listbox) CAN fix the problem temporarily, but resizing it again, the problem will show again. Same as switching to another application and then back to the problematic one.

If this was happening only to a single customer, I had thought to hardware problems (or software maybe). But it happens to several customers with different hardware configurations.

If this was happening only to a single program, I had thought to some problems specific to that program. But it happens in several different programs.

If this was happening to a single RDP client I had thought to a specific RDP client problem. But it happens with every client.

[quote=368718:@Markus Winter]Why don‘t you use a listbox alternative? There are a few around …

For example https://www.pidog.com/piDogScrollingCanvas/DataView.shtml.

Or if you are using an older Xojo version then even the Einhugur grid will do … but note that there is no update that would work with newer versions.

You could even roll your own …[/quote]

Why should I use an alternative? I need a Listbox. The only thing I do on that listbox is drawing alternate row colors.

64 or 32 bit exe?

Anyway, before I get fired, today I setup to recompile EVERY program we rolled out (about 70) with Xojo 2016r3 and started reinstalling everything for EVERY server and for EVERY customer. The weekend is my friend :slight_smile:

So for now, I will setup a clone machine internally and start testing to isolate the problem or wait Xojo to fix it.

32 bit. 64 bit was planned but now canceled due Xojo 2017 is not usable. :-/

Doh :frowning:

Hope you work it out Massimo, that sucks.

[quote=368759:@]Doh :frowning:

Hope you work it out Massimo, that sucks.[/quote]

It really SUCKS, especially considering that Direct2D is now more than 1 year old and we must continue to use Xojo 2016 because of these problems.

I’m super angry, also because it’s years Xojo says they can’t change this and that because “…it would break a lot of existing code.” and suddenly they switch to Direct2D, without giving the ability to choose first. A compatibility mode would have been a wise move in this case.

And now Norman also says this is not a Xojo problem, but it’s an RDP issue… :-/

Thanks for your efforts Julian and every one tried to help me.

Well, maybe because:

[i]“but I’m pretty sure this is an issue with Xojo and specifically with Listbox, due the garbled thing ONLY happens with the listbox. Other controls, aside of flickering issues, are ok.”

“And btw, it’s not one customer, are MANY, with MANY users. I’m basically hated by hundred of people in these days”

“Anyway, before I get fired,”[/i]

But instead of being flexible and trying something else you’d rather be pig-headed about the issue, have many annoyed users who think of you as incompetent, give Xojo a bad reputation (maybe they will soon no longer accept Xojo apps where you work?), and keep on moaning here about it not working RATHER THAN TRYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT???

Not. Smart. At. All.

[quote=368780:@Markus Winter]

But instead of being flexible and trying something else you’d rather be pig-headed about the issue, have many annoyed users who think of you as incompetent, give Xojo a bad reputation (maybe they will soon no longer accept Xojo apps where you work?), and keep on moaning here about it not working RATHER THAN TRYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT???

Not. Smart. At. All.[/quote]

Markus, before judging me pig-headed and not smart you should probably know better about the situation. We work with a pretty big system made of tenth of different applications developed across years. We have our internal framework with control subclasses and lot of custom classes, controls, etc.
Obviously we also have Listbox subclasses for doing some custom things and on this subject we can’t use any different due any Canvas based listbox is basically too slow for our cases. But aside from the above, we can’t easily change everything just because a Xojo control suddenly doesn’t work anymore as expected. Next what? TextField? Canvas?
Decide to change the Listbox with something else (if any suitable was available) would require us to rewrite a lot of code and maybe something would be not possible to redo.
And this, at the scale we operate also has a monetary cost I can’t justify.

What many people around here don’t understand is the difference of operating in a big enterprise environment, from deploying a simple application to a couple of customers.

If I post here is to try finding a solution, not for moaning. Maybe you can try to help instead of just doing useless noise.
If you have nothing useful to say, please go away, put this thread to ignore and shut up.