Let me introduce myself

Hi everyone.
I’ve been on the forums for about 10 months.
I want to say a million special thanks to all people at the kind and helping Xojo community.
You’ve created one of the friendliest and richest sources of knowledge in coding.
Something that I’m sure has, is, and will help A LOT of people learn to write code.

A bit about myself:
I’m a pharmD student who decided to learn programming for automating the repetitive parts of my works.
I don’t remember exactly when I started learning to code, I guess I’ve been at it on and off from 4 years ago.
I started with Python and then Ruby, actually I found Ruby very robust and friendly. I loved it, but I was disappointed when I found about the lack of a robust and friendly GUI framework (*). So I abandoned them, and tried to learn Objective-C, but found it too overwhelming and abandoned programming all together for awhile.
After a long break, one day during aimless web surfing, I accidentally landed on a wikipedia page about Xojo, and since then it has changed my life, and allowed me to consider myself a “programmer”, although a noob one.
I really enjoy coding, I code for 20 hours straight without feeling any tiredness or hunger.
And everyday I’m learning something new here.
After mastering Xojo, I plan to give Obj-C another try, but I will continue mainly using Xojo, and will use Obj-C for declares inside Xojo to broaden its capabilities.
Because Xojo allows me to focus on the function and purpose of the program, instead of the code details. and you can do the job faster using Xojo.
My current project is a cryptography application using my own encryption algorithm.

• is framework the right word here? I still don’t know exactly what API, library, plugin, addon, and framework mean; and also don’t know the difference between them)

Welcome to the club. Would you like a T-shirt? :slight_smile:

Radium,

1. A library is a collection of non-volatile code resources which are combined to provide access to certain functionality.

2. A framework refers to the underlying structure of code, which you can access and manipulate (to a certain extent) in order to achieve your desired result.

:slight_smile:

The club of people who dislike Obj-C? :smiley:

[quote=164588:@Richard Summers]Radium,

1. A library is a collection of non-volatile code resources which are combined to provide access to certain functionality.

2. A framework refers to the underlying structure of code, which you can access and manipulate (to a certain extent) in order to achieve your desired result.

:)[/quote]
Let’s dumb down that a bit so a noob like me understand it better.
Does a personal Module of Class full of self-made methods, count as a Library?
If so, then what’s the difference between that and Xojo plugins? (like MBS)

T-shirts, get your T-shirts (and other Xojo merch)!

Xojo Shop

[quote=164589:@Radium Radiovich]The club of people who dislike Obj-C? :smiley:

Let’s dumb down that a bit so a noob like me understand it better.
Does a personal Module of Class full of self-made methods, count as a Library?
If so, then what’s the difference between that and Xojo plugins? (like MBS)[/quote]

Plugins and Xojo native projects are as close to the “Library” term in other languages that we have with Xojo. With Xojo luckily we don’t have to deal with calling external library headers so in a sense the “library feel” would be of Xojo Plugins and Xojo projects (collection of modules/methods/etc in native Xojo code).

Normally what authors of the Xojo plugins do is that they write or take a C/C++ project and wrap it into a compiled plugin in the .xojo_plugin format. I am not a plugin author so this is from my experience of studying how to make plugins :slight_smile:

Hopefully that makes sense :slight_smile:

Radium Radio(vich) is not a real name is it :D)

[quote=164588:@Richard Summers]Radium,

<…>
    :)[/quote]

Holy cap! It was getting late, in the pub, last night …!?

:wink:

There is a lot of overlap of meaning here. The differences lie mostly in how they are accessed. Strictly speaking, an API is an abstract definition of how you access certain functionality, but in casual parlance, it can be used to refer to the functions themselves. If you put 5 programmers in a room and asked them to explain the differences between these terms, you’d get 6 different explanations. Don’t feel bad that the terms are a little fuzzy to you. Their meaning can change from one context to another.

An API is the way you talk to a library/plugin/addon/framework…

Thank you all for your kind responses.
I’m learning a lot from you guys.

hahaa, Radium is my real name, my father is a crazy chemist who named me Radium because I was born at 1988 (Radium is the 88th element in periodic table). :smiley:
My real last name is Ivanovich.

Radium,

Glad you enjoy the forums and Xojo. There is lots of great information in the forums and more is learned with more participation!

Welcome!

Eugene
P.S. <- also a crazy chemist… :slight_smile:

Crazy Chemists apparently abound! :wink:

• Karen

Crazy chemists abide.

I’m a pharmacy student myself too.
Father is proud of me for following his footsteps (voluntarily and with love).
Although he is working for the dark side (chemical warfare research), but dark side is not my side.
Although the older he gets, the more mellow he becomes.
He has changed a lot since his youngster days, and turned from a mad chemist obsessed with making the deadliest chemical agent ever, to a pacifist who prefers to work on non-lethal chemical warfare.