launch xojo desktop app without x-windows

Hi, finally Xojo for raspberry is here, maybe i can forget python?? : )

Anyway, is there a way to execute Xojo desktop app (with window) from the command line without launch X on Raspberry?

thanks

You don’t need X-windows on Pi. Just compile your desktop app for Pi and copy it over. Then launch it like you would any Linux app.

[quote=222622:@Massimo Maioli]Hi, finally Xojo for raspberry is here, maybe i can forget python?? : )

Anyway, is there a way to execute Xojo desktop app (with window) from the command line without launch X on Raspberry?

thanks[/quote]

short answer is no.

desktop apps require Xwindows to draw the windows/controls on the screen.

[quote=222644:@scott boss]short answer is no.

desktop apps require Xwindows to draw the windows/controls on the screen.[/quote]

?? X-Windows must be built into the Pi OS then?

I launch my app all the time and have never used launchx.

Xwindows is launched automagically if you have a display. Xwindows is what is behind the GUI you see. Granted it is a striped down version of X.

Linux (and its variations) can’t display a GUI without it.

OK. Thanks. I was thinking it was an extra framework like when you launch X-Windows on a Mac…

Thanks all, so if i want make a “kiosk”, i have to launch xojo app on boot (after x is loaded) and make it fullscreen and not quittable

yes.

If the PI is set to launch to init mode 5 (GUI) then if you set up your app to launch on boot (/etc/init.d/* scripts) then it will start after the GUI (or should).

good luck on your app.

I have a bunch of tutorials over here.

This is the method to auto load an application. If the application takes time to load, like a kiosk app, you’ll want to ensure the window manager has loaded before your application, or it could potentially suffer a major hard crash…so init is a bad option…

Here is the raspbian method to auto load application upon startup:

http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/05/how-to-autostart-apps-in-rasbian-lxde-desktop/

Check out other ‘everything you ever wanted to know about pi’ articles at: :slight_smile:
http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/author/matt/

thanks, my big problem now is how to hide the taskbar and launch the app fullscreen without the windows button to hide, zoom or close the window.

set fullscreen propery of the window to true in the ide.
It works on raspberry pi.