Launch Images

Just for curiosity sake… I noticed that Xojo-iOS uses Launch images… might I ask why it is not using the “equivalent” for the LaunchScreen.XIB which is I guess new for iOS8?
Is it that this was too far down the design path before iOS8 came out? another reason?

It seems that you can get the same functionality (to get the device to use full resolution and not default to 320x480), and your app ends up 10’s of thousands of bytes smaller, because you don’t have to carry around a dozen static images of which most will never be used, and those that are are used once per launch

Probably because we are maintaining compatibility with iOS 7 and having two different ways just means twice as many things that can go wrong.

Thanks… just wondered… I always thought it strange that iOS needed something “external” to get the device to use its native resolution

Recall originally iOS would run iPhone apps scaled on the iPad.
Thats still true across many more devices & resolutions.
Seems they use this to indicate whether or not that scaling should happen.

[quote=179799:@Norman Palardy]Recall originally iOS would run iPhone apps scaled on the iPad.
Thats still true across many more devices & resolutions.
Seems they use this to indicate whether or not that scaling should happen.[/quote]

Good Point… using LaunchImage.XIB does limit it to device native resolution,

where if you leave launch images and the XIB out, it scales based on an iPhone4 is seems