Launch a freshly created doc file on Linux?

I’m manually creating an RTF doc file and I want to open it in the user’s default RTF editor.

On Mac and Windows, f.Launch works. However, on Linux, nothing occurs. Does the folder item not track URI assignments (on Linux)? Is there a way to achieve this that is known?

What happens when you double-click that file?

It opens in LibreOffice Write on my test systems, so the URI is mapped.

Launch is not available in console applications.
Standard or Console application ?

Desktop application

I just tried this code on Linux Mint 20.3 and it opened the test.rtf file in my Documents folder with LibreOffice Writer:

Var doc As FolderItem
doc = SpecialFolder.Documents.Child("test.rtf")
doc.Open

So FolderItem.Open replaces FolderItem.Launch.

Could that be the issue here? I’m using .Launch.

It also works for me when I use Launch.

I know Mac has some weird issues where file handling almost feels asynchronous at times. Do you think that could be applying here? Is the file not-yet-written (or not done being created) at the time Launch is attempted?

1 Like

All I did was change RTFLog.Launch to RTFLog.Open(True) and it’s now opening in LibreOffice Writer on all 4 test platforms.

… stranger things!

I had a similar issue with a help file on a dual boot system (Windows/Manjaro). Long story short, because of the way I was creating the file and saving it to a shared drive, in Manjaro the Executable checkbox got checked in Properties. Once I unchecked it, my application opened the file just fine.