Latest iOS hack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52391759

Ouch

ONE hack on iOS is news
50 on Android barely gets mentioned
fwiw googling for “hack android” brings up long lists :slight_smile:

I think we just have become acclimated to “android security” is an oxymoron

Yeah maybe if Apple didn’t try to make such a big deal about their devices security then people wouldn’t care about the hacks as much.

I assume Apple will patch that quickly and for the time being; I just disabled my Mail accounts on the iPhone.
Although I may not be a target, but I fear a spam attack to millions of people may end up in my inbox, too.

In the newest iOS beta the bug is already fixed.

The easiest solution is obviously to use a Nokia 1100 :wink:

Hey, I had several different Nokia models back in the day. Starting with the 2190 (USA version of link to 2110), the 5190, and the USA version of the 3210. Ironic that at the time I kept wanting a smaller and smaller cell phone; now I want a larger and larger cell phone.

Go figure.

for years I just had no cell phone of any kind
could go for a drive and not be bugged by ringing phones or texts or …
was nice & peaceful
I still turn mine on to do not disturb while driving mode when I go out
its so nice today I might just need to go for a drive :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=485786:@Norman Palardy]for years I just had no cell phone of any kind
could go for a drive and not be bugged by ringing phones or texts or …
was nice & peaceful
I still turn mine on to do not disturb while driving mode when I go out
its so nice today I might just need to go for a drive :P[/quote]

On pre COVID-19 times I commuted on a scooter, perfect excuse to put the phone on airplaine mode.

[quote=485742:@Norman Palardy]ONE hack on iOS is news
50 on Android barely gets mentioned
fwiw googling for “hack android” brings up long lists :slight_smile:

I think we just have become acclimated to “android security” is an oxymoron[/quote]

Really?

Sure, last year iOS reported 156 Vulnerabilities and Android 414

BUT most of this bugs are reported and fixed way before any phone is shipped with it.

And even then, not all bugs are the same, real Hacks and serious flaws, both OSes have about the same (but, most of them on android dont reach end users)

About the number of reporsts is easy, Android just have much more eyes on its source code to find and fix bugs, while in iOS bugs just stay there to be used for some hackers until a couple million users have being affected and it is finally “discovered” that is why the news.

Looking at the data, iOS have more dangerous bugs reaching the end user.

Maybe lot of people is just acclimated to the fictional MAC security…

Perhaps soon there’ll be another option… Huawei’s “new” Harmony OS (which I suspect is really Symbian).

Is this a joke ? I’m not sure back doors can be view as being security

Huawei has announced Harmony OS will be open source and if my hunch that it’s actually Symbian is correct it’s likely that it’s been updated by Accenture (a common partner to NOKIA and Huawei) rather than in-house by Huawei.