Last Xojo version to use for Mac OSX 10.6

you supported 10.4 for realthings loooooooong after apple stopped to support it.

I mentioned several factors: Apple deprecates APIs at a much faster clip than Microsoft (and they themselves used to!) They no longer provide developer tools or security updates for 10.6.

Microsoft will likely continue to support both their existing APIs and development tools for a longer period of time than Apple. They’ve shown that they’ve done that, at least in the past- which helps to enable our continuing support in newer versions.

The situations are very different.

Correct. Back at that time Apple was close to a two-year OS release cycle for several versions after that, and were not changing APIs, developer tools, and support at the same rate they do today.

[quote=53443:@Karen Atkocius]As I said dropping 10.6 is a real issue for me… Even though 10.9 is free where I work there is no IT department and we are on Macs but a fair number are on 10… But because they are not there own machines, and many of the people don’t have Macs of their own they don’t have Apple ID’s so could not download and install 10.9 even if they wanted to.
[/quote]
They are free to create so they can download it fairly readily.
However, if they are not the admin that would be an issue.

Is a Mac App Store account even required to be able to download 10.9?

That is how I had to do it at home…

• Karen

Don’t know… I’ve not tried it yet (I upgraded both the machines at home to 10.9).

• Karen

[quote=53491:@Karen Atkocius]That is how I had to do it at home…

• Karen[/quote]

I know it downloads through the Mac App Store, but I don’t know if it requires an account to do so. Software updates on 10.7 went through the MAS but didn’t require an account.

you need an appleid to download something for the first time on the mac app store
you dont need the appleid after that to download updates to apple systems
you need the appleid first time you buy 10.7 10.8 or get 10.9 (you dont buy it’s free but need appleid)

after looking at the problem one more time, it appears that 10.7 was released in july 2011.
as seen on another forum, we can’t force our customers ( specially the companies) to change their computers systems that are 2 1/2 years old ! I know thanks to you that there are problems to maintain 10.6 compatibility but remember that 20% of mac users are still using 10.6, you get rid indirectly of 20% of your customers think about it.

It would be a shame IF there was no prior warning.

But there was one (or many). I recall a discussion on that subject before 10.6 support was removed in Real Studio . As usual, there was a techincal reason behind that move, else it would not be.

a technical reason that removes all customers that have a more than 2.5 years system is a bad reason.
specially for a development system !
at least that xojo ide needs 10.7 to develop it’s ok, but let us compile for 10.6 if we dont use any >10.6 system specific code ?

[quote=53714:@jean-yves pochez]a technical reason that removes all customers that have a more than 2.5 years system is a bad reason.
specially for a development system !
at least that xojo ide needs 10.7 to develop it’s ok, but let us compile for 10.6 if we dont use any >10.6 system specific code ?[/quote]
Keep cool son.

2.5 y/o system ? You mean 10.6 was released in 2011-07 ? No, it was not. sl is a bit older (but not too much).

I was not writing against you, but I wanted to clarify a point. I understand your feeling.

On the other hand, I am happy for the people who have old enough machines to get / run 10.6 on.

2002-12: iBook (tree hard crashes and lost at a truck botton when coming back from repair)
2004: PowerBook G4 (refuse to boot, then the monitor stopped to display anything)
2008-10: MacBook 13" (battry grows, touch pad dead, many other forgotten stuff)
2011-11: MacBook Pro 15" is currently on extended waranty and works as it can.
But that machine cannot run SL.

10.7 was released in july 2011 so 2.5 years.
10.6 was released in august 2009
there are still 20% of mac users that uses 10.6 (recent internet browsers statistics)
so how can you get rid of 20% of potential customers ?
I simply cannot.

Apple still sells Snow Leopard :
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

You can buy one, but you have to have a compatible mac to run it; my current MacBook Pro 2011-11 does not.

I read the news today oh boy…

http://www.macg.co/os-x/2013/12/snow-leopard-pret-pour-une-retraite-bien-meritee-78768

Basically, they are awaiting a stop from Apple for the 10.6 release and explain why they think so. This article certainly exists in english somewhere.

xojo is leaving 10.6 before apple …
I dont plan to leave 10.6 (support) until one year

and yes I have a macbookpro that’s still working and under 10.6

How lucky you are (to have a laptop that runs 10.6).