Language Support in your Apps

Just out of interest, in general I was wondering how many people support:

• more than one language in their apps
  • how many languages you support
  • how do you choose which languages you are going to support
  • how do you go about translation: DIY / Professional Translator etc.
  • Yes
  • Two out of the box but I accept user supplied translations.
  • I do the languages I understand plus what is submitted.
  • DIY / contribution

An important thing to note is that I use Xojo for freeware.

I support two languages out of the box also. Customers can customize existing language strings or add additional localizations through an ad-hoc translation transaction. (it is only open to administrator accounts)

[quote=144774:@Bob Coleman]- Yes

• Two out of the box but I accept user supplied translations.
  • I do the languages I understand plus what is submitted.
  • DIY / contribution

An important thing to note is that I use Xojo for freeware.[/quote]
What app is this?

Thanks

(more than one language in their apps
how many languages you support) - supports XojoScript for executing IDE scripts (or as I currently call them in my app, ‘Plugins’). I have a very incomplete language.
how do you choose which languages you are going to support - XojoScript is built-in so that was an easy choice.
how do you go about translation: DIY / Professional Translator etc. - I have a very incomplete programming language which I will get to releasing after my app comes out of alpha and then out of beta. It translates my programming language (designed for beginners) to Javascript.

Currently, for programming projects in this app, only a drag and drop programming system is supported but I give users access to XojoScript.

@Oliver They’re talking about spoken languages, not programming languages.

Most of the applications I’ve created supports two languages, basely English and my native lang.
Some of my apps are English only.

For sure, I would like to see other translations as well, but have not published this idea yet.

• Yes.
  • Always at least two (English and Spanish), sometimes more if required (French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish but so far not Guugu Yimidhirr).
  • I choose the languages according to the potential market/client’s requirements.
  • I do the translations myself (English, Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese) or get a profesional translator to do the languages I don’t speak.

Something to think about
http://mashable.com/2013/08/30/next-billion-internet-users/

[quote=144991:@Norman Palardy]Something to think about
http://mashable.com/2013/08/30/next-billion-internet-users/[/quote]

This morning, I heard on Tech News that half Android users are Chinese. That represents a quarter of all computing devices combined. Yet, I do not see myself learning chinese.

Heck, I even do not have apps in French. The bulk of the market is speaking English, and as of now, statistics show rather poor results on the French Apple Store for my kind of products.

[quote=144791:@Oliver Scott-Brown](more than one language in their apps
how many languages you support) - supports XojoScript for executing IDE scripts (or as I currently call them in my app, ‘Plugins’). I have a very incomplete language.
how do you choose which languages you are going to support - XojoScript is built-in so that was an easy choice.
how do you go about translation: DIY / Professional Translator etc. - I have a very incomplete programming language which I will get to releasing after my app comes out of alpha and then out of beta. It translates my programming language (designed for beginners) to Javascript.

Currently, for programming projects in this app, only a drag and drop programming system is supported but I give users access to XojoScript.[/quote]

Brilliant…

Haha, silly me. I did not notice at all.

Thanks. But is this sarcasm because I made a mistake?

I translate for IObit and they are using language files (.lng).

Very straightforward and easy for both IObit and the person who translate. You can let your users translate in their language for you sweet and easily.