Language Reference for 2012R2.1 offline

Clicking on the Language Reference button in 2012R2.1 now gives an “Object not found!” error. Is this a computer problem that will be fixed or part of a plan to get everyone to switch to Xojo? I haven’t made the switch yet as I do most of my work on a laptop and projects that fit nicely on the old IDE don’t fit on the new one. That plus I don’t have the time to learn the new system and my current project is already behind schedule.

The old LR (docs.realsoftware.com) is being configured to redirect to documentation.xojo.com, but the redirect is not working yet.

In the meantime, you can switch to using the local LR in Real Studio preferences.

[quote=16803:@Paul Lefebvre]The old LR (docs.realsoftware.com) is being configured to redirect to documentation.xojo.com, but the redirect is not working yet.

In the meantime, you can switch to using the local LR in Real Studio preferences.[/quote]

Is this a good idea when using RS2012/ RealStudio / Realbasic Online help ?

In near future you will not find the same syntax, and a depreciated command that is removed from documentation, but still valid for RS2012/ RealStudio / Realbasic.

Or will you have a sub section with the old documentation for RS2012

Worst, since the [LOCAL] doc (REALStudioWDB) is really bad (and older than it should be) in Real Studio, people will start to have troubles in the future.

Norman: a snapshot at - say - 2013-06-04 of the Language Reference will be a good idea for both the people that will upgrade to xojo sometimes in the future and those who will never upgrade.

The old documentation server is being decommissioned - not archived. It’s going to completely disappear.
The URL will redirect to the up to date documentation at documentation.xojo.com which is the live wiki - just like the online set always has.
Its always “live” & “up to date” which means that as new versions come out the old docs get revamped /revised / rewritten or removed.
That’s always been true since we started using the wiki.
No more or less now than ever.

The local LR becomes the reference you have on hand for old versions just like always (even going back to printed versions)

Which means no snapshot.

[quote=16939:@Norman Palardy]The old documentation server is being decommissioned - not archived. It’s going to completely disappear.
The URL will redirect to the up to date documentation at documentation.xojo.com which is the live wiki - just like the online set always has.
Its always “live” & “up to date” which means that as new versions come out the old docs get revamped /revised / rewritten or removed.
That’s always been true since we started using the wiki.
No more or less now than ever.

The local LR becomes the reference you have on hand for old versions just like always (even going back to printed versions)

Which means no snapshot.[/quote]

Would it be possible we could get a pdf or html version of the docs.realsoftware.com Wiki ?

I find it a bit sad you kill the old wiki so soon, I use it a lot for RS2012 also reading the user guides sometimes. And since documentation for Xojo will evolve, less correct will the information be for RS2012. As an old user of RS that have been supporting Realsoftware for many years I find it a sad day.

PDF - no, we tried it and it reauires a bunch of infrastructure that we dont have and it’s quite complex to set up (we tried & it failed horribly as the set up is NOT exactly “simple” or “easy to follow”)

HTML - unlikely as that requires scraping the site, rewriting all the URLS so they don’t point to the now missing web site, embedding all the css & then packaging up all the images and making it all available in some form you can just have on your hard drive.
Basically if I had a spare week to do it then maybe - but I don’t.

What’d you do any other day we released a new version & enabled all the new docs & hid / removed the old ones ?
You’d have many of the same issues,
The “new wiki” is the old one running in a new location - literally.
Same issues with using an old version that always existed.

Ok and the 2012 IDE will now go to the updated documentation site
Thanks Greg !

I really miss the auto-complete in the search box on the old wiki. Any chance that will come back in the new one?

Possibly.
I have a local wiki running the same version of MediaWiki & everything.
Not sure why it works here for my set up but not in the public one.
It’s puzzling

[quote=16971:@Norman Palardy]PDF - no, we tried it and it reauires a bunch of infrastructure that we dont have and it’s quite complex to set up (we tried & it failed horribly as the set up is NOT exactly “simple” or “easy to follow”)

What’d you do any other day we released a new version & enabled all the new docs & hid / removed the old ones ?
You’d have many of the same issues,
The “new wiki” is the old one running in a new location - literally.
Same issues with using an old version that always existed.

Ok and the 2012 IDE will now go to the updated documentation site
Thanks Greg !
[/quote]

Well if I look at the new wiki I don’t find “REALSQLDatabase” on page: http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Database_Class
So the wiki is different from RS2012.

I would run the old wiki in a virtual environment and reverse proxy it from the main site as: documentation.xojo.com/2012 and of course change the default url site in the old wiki configuration

Under Apache you could run the old wiki local under a different port or virtual host and then reverse proxy it from main site. just make sure new wiki and old wiki are not using the same database name if they are hosted the same place

Use of apache proxy reverse: mod_proxy - Apache HTTP Server Version 2.4

For what it’s worth I’m working on an app that will create a Dash docset for Xojo automatically.

Dash is Mac only but does provide a very nice way of accessing offline docs.

I’ll release the app for free when it’s done. You can then build a docset for whatever version of Real Studio / Xojo you have installed as it trawls the local docs to construct the Dash data.

[quote=17082:@Garry Pettet]For what it’s worth I’m working on an app that will create a Dash docset for Xojo automatically.

Dash is Mac only but does provide a very nice way of accessing offline docs.

I’ll release the app for free when it’s done. You can then build a docset for whatever version of Real Studio / Xojo you have installed as it trawls the local docs to construct the Dash data.[/quote]

Interesting. Your video only showed 0.02 Sec and then I had black screen. Using firefox on windows

My two pennies worth is that I think xojo should should support 2012 documentation for at least a while (in my industry it is 7 years after making products obsolete!!!). Some people will not migrate to xojo but will remain with 2012 and having bought a license then the documentation should be available somewhere. It’s bit like buying a car then three months later a new version comes out obsoleting parts for the old car and the manufacturer saying - well you can still drive it but don’t expect support. Even microsoft support old version of their software - I can get win 3.1 information. Surely xojo can find a way to support 2012 users with documentation?

What video? On the Dash website? I’m not affiliated with Dash - I just like the software.

Okay then, a small misunderstanding. Thought this link Dash for macOS - API Documentation Browser, Snippet Manager - Kapeli came from you:

[quote=17079:@John Hansen]Well if I look at the new wiki I don’t find “REALSQLDatabase” on page: http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Database_Class
So the wiki is different from RS2012.
[/quote]
And that occurred with 2010r1 to 2010r2 and 2011 to 2012

OK let me say this one more time - there is no OLD wiki - its the same wiki with the content & look updated etc.
We’d literally have to rollback all the changes made since early this year, dump the wiki & reapply all the changes to bring it back up to today.
It’s a living document and there are no “snapshots” of it on a given date that we could just restore & magically have the wiki back as it existed on any given date.

You have it in the form the product was shipped in - use the local documentation set.
The wiki is always the most up to date reference for the currently shipping product.

[quote=17147:@Norman Palardy]And that occurred with 2010r1 to 2010r2 and 2011 to 2012

OK let me say this one more time - there is no OLD wiki - its the same wiki with the content & look updated etc.
We’d literally have to rollback all the changes made since early this year, dump the wiki & reapply all the changes to bring it back up to today.
It’s a living document and there are no “snapshots” of it on a given date that we could just restore & magically have the wiki back as it existed on any given date.

You have it in the form the product was shipped in - use the local documentation set.
The wiki is always the most up to date reference for the currently shipping product.[/quote]

Listen carefully, I only tell it six times :slight_smile:

Maybe we have a misunderstanding based on miscommunication. I was not requesting a snapshot should be made every time you release a new version. But in this case you are changing the brand. And it would be nice if we still could have access to docs.realsoftware.com (which I refer to the old wiki) under a different URL. With no updates. (No live updates of wiki)

[code]
Norman Palardy
2 hours ago Xojo Inc

OK let me say this one more time - there is no OLD wiki - its the same wiki with the content & look updated etc.[/code]
There was one three days ago running on the old website. Has it been deleted along with all its backups?

[quote=17153:@John Hansen]
And it would be nice if we still could have access to docs.realsoftware.com (which I refer to the old wiki) under a different URL. [/quote]
It literally does not exist any more.

Right - a snapshot as of some fixed date - doesn’t exist.

[quote=17199:@Dean Davidge]
There was one three days ago running on the old website. Has it been deleted along with all its backups?[/quote]
The “old” server is one that was compromised. So even the backups are to be treated as compromised.
And it’s being decommissioned because it was compromised - which is why the URL’s from the old IDE broke just recently.
Everything on that server is suspect - which is why it’s all been moved to new servers that are better secured.
We had to reload documentation.xojo.com from a backup I had on my machine which was NOT compromised and IT meant we had to redo a lot of our own work to bring it up to date
The only wiki that exists IS the one on documentation.xojo.com.
And before someone asks no we’re not running multiple wikis to have each version talk to a different one - they ALL talk to the same one.

If you need the old docs you have them IN the local documentation set of the IDE