Keyboard Emulations?

G’Day guys,

I’m an old fart and started back when VI was the text editor of choice. (google it youngsters…) :wink:

I’m wondering (hoping) that there’s something like VSVIM (for Visual Studio) that will give me a VI/Vim emulation for the Xojo editor.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. :wink:

If its not already built in there’s no add ons that alter the editor to behave like VI

Guess it depends on what it is you’re looking for as far as VI emulation is concerned

Thanks Norm,

I’m looking to keep my fingers on the keyboard, i.e., more tapping, less mousing …

I wonder what’s involved in writing an AddOn?

Some research needed I guess …

Thanks for the quick response mate.

[quote=294771:@Ken Boyle]Thanks Norm,
I’m looking to keep my fingers on the keyboard, i.e., more tapping, less mousing …
I wonder what’s involved in writing an AddOn?
[/quote]
If you mean a plugin - plugins cant alter this
The IDE itself has no built in mechanism for you to change this (ie redefining how commands are invoked)
Some OS functionality exists in OS X to redefine keyboard shortcuts but thats not quite what you’re after

Yep, so what I (guess) I need is an interpretation layer between me and the editor, i.e, I type ESC and the next key is used as a command. I then type j and my cursor moves to the next line (same character pos). I type i j and I get the char j

It’s not a show-stopper, just don’t like the Microsoft way of editing. :wink:

yeah VI is totally modal - you’re either in insert mode or command mode
and thats definitely not how the code editor is

I had to think about vi to remember how it worked as it has been a very long time since I used it much