Kaju self-updater talk (v.1.x)

That is odd. I am using the HTTTPSecureSocket to download, and using it’s event to track progress. Perhaps there is a bug there?

I tried to put all the strings into constants with an idea of making it multi-language eventually. I would love for people to submit translations.

Otherwise, glad you like it.

@Kem Tekinay : I’ve created a german fork and added a german localization (already translated) for the Admin App to my fork. Maybe you can merge it with your master/develop versions?

I’ve only made changes to the Admin App and the included Kaju Classes.

I’ve created a new branch on GitHub called “Translations”. Can you push your changes to that branch?

No i can’t but i have made a pull request. Both branches can be automatically merged.

Tried to merge with GitHub and with SourceTree, but i can’t choose/see the Translations branch in my clients.

Thanks Sascha, that was good enough. I merged your changes into the Translations branch and closed your Pull Request.

If someone else who speaks German can take a look to double-check, that would be great. Otherwise, I’ll merge those changes into master as a new version in a day or two.

Thanks again.

(Now I have to think about enabling language-specific release notes…) :slight_smile:

Sorry Sascha, I need a few more. If you tell me what they are, I’ll paste them into the project:

1. NO UPDATE INFORMATION
  2. You cannot skip versions until you have updated to version <> or beyond.
  3. Try Again
  4. Later
  5. An error has occurred. Would you like to try again now or later?
  6. Version must be in one of these forms
  7. Missing app name
  8. Binary information is not valid

("<>" is just a placeholder so don’t worry about that.)

Thanks again.

[quote=158681:@Kem Tekinay]Sorry Sascha, I need a few more. If you tell me what they are, I’ll paste them into the project:

1. NO UPDATE INFORMATION
  2. You cannot skip versions until you have updated to version <> or beyond.
  3. Try Again
  4. Later
  5. An error has occurred. Would you like to try again now or later?
  6. Version must be in one of these forms
  7. Missing app name
  8. Binary information is not valid

("<>" is just a placeholder so don’t worry about that.)

Thanks again.[/quote]

1. KEINE UPDATE INFORMATIONEN
  2. Sie können keine Versionen überspringen bevor Sie nicht mindestens <> oder höher installiert haben.
  3. Erneut versuchen
  4. Später
  5. Es ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. Möchten Sie es jetzt oder später noch einmal versuchen?
  6. Version muss in einer der folgenden Formen eingegeben werden
  7. App Name fehlt
  8. Binäre Informationen sind nicht valide

No, thank you! :slight_smile:

Pushed into the Translations branch.

I guess I should move all these strings to their own module to make these translations easier.

That’s done. Now there is a KajuLocale module that contains almost any string that might have to be localized. The exceptions are the error messages in KajuException. I didn’t want to lose that encapsulation.

I think it’s good enough to just have strings translated that may be visible by the enduser.

Thank you for making this change so fast @Kem Tekinay :slight_smile:

Right, those are the only ones I moved into the new module (I think). :slight_smile:

I am no artist, but i do not like to run Apps w/o an icon. So i made my own Kaju Icon and pushed it to GitHub.
And i completed the german translation in the new Kaju locale module in the Admin App.

There’s an error in the current version. The AppName is not displayed in lblMain in the Update Window. Instead the kThisApplication constant is displayed. See here:

Quite right Sascha, I forgot to set the property. Correcting now.

I also forgot to move the constants from the update window into the locale module, so I’m doing that too. Hold off on any future updates until I can push this.

OK, that’s fixed and in the Translations branch. Since AppName is version-specific, that label is now set in the Version pop-up menu. And since the app name can change, I got rid of the “multiple” version of that message. It will now say “A new version of <> is available!” and take AppName directly from whichever version was chosen in the pop-up.

BTW, only strings used in the Kaju classes should be in the KajuLocale module. If you localized the Admin app, those strings should get their own module.

I will probably push this to master as v.1.1 later today.

Or you can change in KajuUpdateWindow, the Get from AppName property to : mAppName = App.ExecutableFile.DisplayName

No, please don’t. Too less of control. :slight_smile:

You can fork it and do that for yourself, it’s open source.

I specifically did not do it that way so you can control what shows in the Update window. Let’s say your app is called “My App” and, in version 2, you want to change the name to “My Super App”. I want it to be able to say there there is an update for “My Super App” if you so choose.

What’s more, let’s say the user changes the name of the app to “My Crappy App”. I do not want it to show up like that in the update window.

As Sascha says, more control is better.