Is Xojo less buggy on Mac or Linux?

It is very crap how Xojo is so buggy. It crashes all of the time and there are so many bugs. Xojo need more bloody engineers!! Sorry to be rude but its so true. My question is, please be honest if its somebody from Xojo Inc answering. Is Xojo less buggy on Mac or Linux than it is WindowS? Please give me your thoughts. I will test Xojo on Ubuntu and see if that is any better.

Thanks

I don’t recall the last time Xojo crashed on me, even after hours of multiple compiles. Are you sure you don’t have some older or otherwise-faulty plugin that’s making a difference?

No plugins. Are you using Windows? The ■■■■ crashes all of the time!!!

All the time when you do some particular set of actions? Or all the time with no apparent rhyme or reason?

If it’s the former I’d suggest listing the steps and filing a bug report. If it’s the latter then I’d download it again because that hasn’t been my experience.

Sorry, I should have said I was on a Mac. I thought everyone knew by now. :slight_smile:

I do my development on my Mac because when I started our project couldn’t be compiled or debugged on Windows. It’s working better now but then I we had issues with Xojo 2013 and database access crashing. That seems to be fixed now in the latest release. But, yeah, it’s better on Mac.

[quote=44887:@Joseph Claeys]All the time when you do some particular set of actions? Or all the time with no apparent rhyme or reason?

If it’s the former I’d suggest listing the steps and filing a bug report. If it’s the latter then I’d download it again because that hasn’t been my experience.[/quote]
Its usually with particular tasks but lots of them so Xojo for me is just an all-round failure when it comes to stability.

Both repeatable and seemingly random crashes are the norm for Xojo on Windows. Xojo on Windows is demonstrably buggier than Xojo on OS X.

if Xojo is programmed in Xojo, it should be from the same source base so there should be less bugs shouldn’t it be that way?

How well does it work on Linux?

I use Windows XOJO predominantly and for quite long periods of time. I suffer very few crashes, but save regular incremental change backups. My specs are Windows 8.1, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB hard disk

I am also using Xojo 3.2 on Windows Professional on a Core2Duo Centrino with 4GB of RAM and 240 GB SSD. I am using Monkey Bread Compression plugins and Bkeeney Formatted Text Control.

As long as I do not click on the “Shared” folder inside the navigator everything is fine. Sometimes very randomly and rare Xojo crashes.

I find version 3 much more stable than version 2. Also version 1 was also stable here but was buggy.

Xojo is still not where it should be, however with every release their is improvement. Despite its buggy state (at least on Windows) it is a very nice development tool which is relatively easy to use.

I am using Advanced System Care Pro to check and cleanup my computer. What happens is that after using Xojo, sometimes ASC shows the orange icon which means there is some damage to the OS. However after a while it is automaticly fixed by ASC and the icon turns blue again, even when I am still in the same Xojo session. I do not know if Xojo is really responsible for the damage or something else. Maybe installing ACS Pro can also reduce your Xojo crashes?

Hope your problem will be solved soon.

I save backups all of the time. Because I use dropbox it quickly backs up a new version every time I save.

I develop cross-platform Desktop and Web apps with Xojo 2013 Release 3.2 primarily on OS X 10.9 and find it to be completely stable but still a bit flaky.

I’m on Mac, Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and Xojo never (very rarely) bugs.

Have you tried NOT having your projects in a dropbox directory? I have no experience to suggest that this is the cause of your crashing, but it seems like an easy and reasonable thing to try to see if your problems are affected.

I do know that some apps do not “like” having their open document files in a dropbox directory…

I have not had a single crash and have been using it on MacBook Pro 13inch Retina for the last few weeks. On Mavericks. I have also turned on retina for it as well so its a slightly hacked version and its all working great. Not a single crash, but an engineer at work said the previous releases had crashed a few times. But not once for me which is a relief.

However this threading issue for the UI in Windows might mean I have to go back to Real Studio to compile for Windows, as on Mac I can compile in carbon and that seems to work, but for the few Windows users I have, its going to be a nightmare and it sounds like I won’t be able to compile.

If you get frequent crashes it may be the user or the computer. Have you tested this?

I just had to restart my Mac after the build scripts weren’t executed (had a print in it so I know they weren’t executed) and I couldn’t add them back because the §$%& open dialog showed now files :slight_smile:

[quote=45010:@Peter Truskier]Have you tried NOT having your projects in a dropbox directory? I have no experience to suggest that this is the cause of your crashing, but it seems like an easy and reasonable thing to try to see if your problems are affected.

I do know that some apps do not “like” having their open document files in a dropbox directory…[/quote]
I do not think that is case. It does not crash regulaly enough for me to be convinced that that is cause and I save my project all of the time. Thanks.

I hope you are submitting feedback whenever a crash occurs… I know it is difficult to thing of the last few things we were doing, but if you do remember, start with a new project and see if it is reproducible and submit the steps with your feedback… As always, a detailed feedback report will help the Xojo developers more than a “it doesn’t work” report…