Is Xojo capable of fast graphics manipulation

MacOS X is Linux done right :wink:

For desktop yes right, for server it’s just the way around.
Compared to Windows MacOS is still on the level of Windows 3.1, reasonably stable but o so limited, see the small percentage of the marketshare. :wink:

Oh man if this doesn’t start flame wars I dunno what all :stuck_out_tongue:

Not that I disagree

I just bought a new tank of propane

Better that you got tank of “propane” instead of what normally fuels flame wars which would be a tank of “profane”

10,000 dinosaurs died to provide you with that tank of propane

Nope. Mac OS X is Unix, and Linux is just an imitation of Unix :wink:

Just like Android is a cheap imitation of iOS :wink:

Ouch
 Propane 

hahaha, funny that you got that one backwards :wink:

iOS is the correct implementation of Android unlike android itself ?

iOs is the retro (read old) version of Android. Take Android, remove all the cool new stuff, box it in so nobody can modify it otherwise it falls apart, still get it wrong so you have to get out bug fixes right after the release and tada! You got iOS! :slight_smile:

Consumers, not you & I, don’t give a damn about “open source” and all the bits you and I might.
They want a device (phone, tablet etc) that works, works reliably, and doesn’t expose their data to every one who drives by.
And they want a device that works well with everything else they have and makes their lives better (easier etc)
There’s a LOT more consumers than there are developers.
Apple gets that its not about “specs” or “hey cool look I can make my phone my workstation because its cool - not very useful but hey its cool”
They implement what helps make peoples lives better.
And to be honest they sometimes makes developers lives hell - developers are a very tiny segment of the overall market.

Now Android devices are often less expensive - some might say downright cheap - and YES iOS device don’t compete based on price. Apple NEVER has. They build the best devices they know how to and sell them at the prices they set.
So yes you will find lots of cheap (price & build quality) Android devices

For YOUR use as a developer Android is a good fit
Not for mine.

But to say iOS is a copy of old Android is entirely disingenuous.
When the first iPhone came out “Android was so far advanced”. Not !
They had to completely retool Android when the first iPhone came out.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/12/the-day-google-had-to-start-over-on-android/282479/?utm_source=macdailynews.com
http://phandroid.com/2014/04/14/android-touch-input/ reports on the court documents which stated
Android originally didn’t implement a way to input commands, text or anything else by way of touch screen. As early as 2006, Android was designed to be a platform controlled by nothing but buttons.

Google realized they had to copy Apples lead once they saw the iPhone.
Their own engineers knew it.

Android still can’t get updates to lots of users https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
Apple has no such issue.
http://www.benchmarkmonitor.com/ios-8-sets-adoption-rate-of-46-in-all-apple-devices-within-just-5-days/182958/
As of September 9, only 24.5% of all Android devices are running on Android 4.4 KitKat, the latest version of the mobile software. Up to 54% of all Android devices are keeping Jelly Bean, the predecessor to KitKat.
This is a HUGE deal for getting consumers using the latest & greatest versions of Android and all the “cool new stuff”.
Android L is slated for the fall - lets see how its uptake goes when its released.
I’m putting my money on it being much like every other Android version - slow and really only done when you get a new device for the most part.

Android dominates the malware market - http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/03/24/report-97-of-mobile-malware-is-on-android-this-is-the-easy-way-you-stay-safe/

Google is even clamping down on how members of its developer alliance can deploy android & more of the required bits are NOT open source. And they’ve taken to doing more vetting of apps like Apple.
see http://source.android.com/faqs.html#what-is-the-role-of-google-play-in-compatibility

And as a developer, you should care that Android apples are trivial to decompile & recover source code from.
Its just java byte code which is VERY nice to decompile.
Just google for “decompile android application”

True there is a wild grow of Android versions on different devices. But I like to compare it with stock Android version of Google. That OS is a VERY good OS. (Many hardcore Apple fans who have played with a Nexus for a month couldn’t believe they ignored it for so long). The Nexus range is actually very good at keeping its devices up to date to the latest Android version, and does this for several years.
But I understand your argument. I would also rather see it otherwise for all the devices, but actually its not such a big deal as an Android programmer coming from a Windows world (we’re used to it). Backward compatibily is great and more and more manifacturers are seeing the use of updated devices.

This was just a semi funny reaction on Michels comment. Both are copying each other. Not believing that is naive. You’re right in the beginning Google probably copied from Apple (Jobs was Apple, rest his soul), but after he is gone it’s looking the other way around. Almost everything that comes out of Apple nowadays is common for years on Android so forgive me for not jumping around if I read about the new iOS. (btw, lots of Apple consumers buy a iPhone JUST because they think it is cool, and Apple is certainly also using that argument.)

Been there, done that. Learned a lot from it, Now it’s my time to share my knowledge to the world (guess you can also call me a hippie and not a money wolf). Mobile is just a hobby for me. Don’t give a damn if someone can read my code. Heck, most of my Android programs are open source so you don’t even have to bother decompiling it (open source != free), and if you want to make it more difficult, write C++ libs. Even on my payed job no matter what language you write in and how strong you think you can protect your software, there is always one smarter who will crack it. Great ideas don’t come from being over protective anyway, and I’m lucky to work in a company that feels the same way about openness. Hard to believe, but it’s most of the time even me that has to tell everyone to close at least some doors :wink:

Guess we both have opposite views on the subject (and that’s a great thing!). Wouldn’t want to live in a world where eveyone is and wants the same :slight_smile:

So true. I hate it when I see people spending more time on paranoid protection than on improving their programs.

EDIT - This has drifted WAY off the original topic