is Xojo a good starter platform for noobs?

Before I dive into Xojo, I want to address that my only experience in development is Filemaker at this point. I want to learn Xojo, but hear a lot of “If you want to start correctly, do Xcode and Swift.” I don’t know which route to take? Obviously, this is a Xojo forum, so bias may be there…but why should I go the Xojo route and alternately, why shouldn’t I?

If I whish what ‘noods’ are, I would probably say: YES.
(since Xojo is appropriate for most programmers, unfortunately some don’t even know)

FileMaker is not a traditional development environment so there are some very different concepts at play here. Frankly, learning Xojo means not having to bother with Swift, but that’s a question you’ll have to answer for yourself later. For now, yes, Xojo is a good environment to learn in, but you will need some supporting material in order to “get it”. The Xojo docs are good but first you will need to learn the concepts behind object-oriented development.

Take it slow and don’t expect to recreate what you can do in FileMaker immediately. You can get there, but only in steps.

[quote=230593:@Joost Rongen]If I whish what ‘noods’ are, I would probably say: YES.
(since Xojo is appropriate for most programmers, unfortunately some don’t even know)[/quote]

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Noob

And yes, it’s good for noobs particularly with the new license scheme as you don’t have to invest any cash to try it out.

We suddenly seem to be talking to ourselves…. :slight_smile:

Hey Kem!! How’s the weather up there in NY?

A little cloudy today, high-50’s/low-60’s. I’m still trying to talk my wife into moving to Texas where, I understand, it’s around 75 degrees and sunny every day of the year. (If you think that’s not true, then shhhh, you’re not helping…)

Don’t you hate it when someone starts a thread and then deletes his post, completely ruining the purpose of the discussion ?

Is it not possible to prevent that like forbid deleting the OP ? Or reinstate the post ?

How do they delete it? Once there’s a follow up post my option to edit or delete is gone.

Apparently not. My previous post from 21 minutes ago still has the X, although you posted afterward.

Oh yeah, I see that now. I guess the options stay active for some hours before disappearing.

Sam,

if you need specific help, just ask your question(s) here.

Ban and curse every topic starter that deletes his topic message. :wink:

+1

I see that Sam is now a Pro user :slight_smile:

Huh? We managed not to scare one away this time.

@Joseph

We still have time :stuck_out_tongue:

C’mon! Don’t be bad guys. I have deleted messages because of lack of English or knowledge!. Let’s say it’s a shy question for a very nice topic. Peace.