Is this example typical of a Xojo installation?

I tested one of the example apps listed on the site called “Studiometry”. Installed to Windows. What I’m wondering about is that if you unzip the file, it does not contain an .exe for installation. Instead you must find the app in a folder containing other files. Is that the way most developers deploy Xojo, or is it specific to just that developer?

That’s specific to this developer. As a Xojo developer you can use any installer on the market (freeware or paid versions) which suits you best.

You can deploy in Windows that way but not recommended since most Windows users expect to use an installer. I’ve used the free, Inno Setup, for many years with no problems. One of the strengths of Xojo is that you can, in most cases, copy the build folder to a Windows environment and it just works. Hard to beat that for testing.

1 Like

Thanks that’s useful to know.

Thanks.

for some reason the “Sample Inno Setup Script” link is missing there today …
UserGuide:Desktop_App_Deployment

here it is
UserGuide:Inno_Setup_Script_(64-bit_apps)

inside of this inno setup compiler you click run and the output is a setup file.

And with Inno Setup (and others) you setup a configuration file once and then, you can do the packaging every time with just opening the config file and click a button.
Or even automate it with running via command line.
Don’t forget to code sign your app before packaging and the installer after packing.

Inno Setup is very good, if you prefer a better IDE, you can try https://www.createinstall.com/

It is not a too well known tool, but you can get a license free version, which covers already a lot. The plus is probably, that you can run an assistant, which will most likely cover 99% of the needs of a beginner, but later you can change the “code” directly as well.

Sadly a very few pro features will cost you money, but the price is still very competitive. I can not remember what it was, but I missed something Inno Setup could not do for me, moved then to createinstall, and never looked back.

Okay thanks will keep that in mind.

Great, always useful to have more options.