Is this allowed in the Mac App Store

In a previous post I asked about converting PDF to image. The solution using DynaPDF cost more than I want to pay.
Anyway I did a goggle “pdf to image mac” and got a mac application “PDF Conversion Master” on the MAS, so I downloaded it to give it a try. It was FREE to DL it. When I ran it I found out it was a ‘DEMO’, with limited to 3 conversion. A dialog with a “Buy” button took me to a Fastspring page to purchase.

Is this OK?
I thought this was not allowed by Apple!

Was it marked as a demo?

Not marked as a demo. What I see now, which may be different that the first time is: Any Free PDF to JPG Converter

I searched the MAS for PDF Conversion Master and got no hits. I’m thinking you were confused and were not on the MAS when you found that software. Taking you to FastSpring to purchase would clearly not be allowed by Apple.

Ops! Typepo it’s “PDF Converter Master”. Had to inter my Apple ID and PW to DL. The about says publisher is “Lighten Software”. However MAS has “Seller: LongEasy Co, Ltd, Tipard Studio” I am looking at it now.

Yes, I see that software offered in the App Store for $24.99. Did you purchase it for that amount? If so and you only got 3 conversions, I would certainly complain to Apple. Also, if they took you to FastSpring to do any purchase from within their software, I don’t know how they got past Apple’s review. I know because I had a run in with Apple Review over a much less egregious violation of that policy.

Apple review process is a bit random. I sent my version 2 and 2.0.1 with a missing entitlement and nobody noticed (including me). Sent the 2.1 and it was rejected.

Yes, Yoann, I had a similar story with one of my apps. However, the OP’s story is quite confusing in this thread. He says it was “free to DL”, yet the only title by that name that I can find in the MAS is offered at $24.99. I suspect that he was not in the MAS when he DL’ed the software.

I am NOT incorrect. Had to enter my Apple PW and ID. If I look now the button that normally has price has “Open” which indicated that it has been purchased and DL.
The app on the MAS may now have changed but for me it still shows the same app. And it also has the $24.99 app, from a different publisher.

Then I can’t begin to understand how Apple allowed this app to direct you to FastSpring to purchase the App.

It would be perfectly out of order, but an app could well change behavior according to the response of a web service it calls upon launch.

When submitted, the web service would tell it to simply act as a free one, so it goes through the reviewer, then later, the web service activates the “demo” behavior and the app starts asking for a payment at FastSpring.

This would be fundamentally dishonest, but it is technically feasible. It may be what the PDF Converter guy did.

One would hope such behavior would be reported to Apple and the app removed quickly.

Indeed. Whatever the method used by the false free app, it is no longer in the MAS.

Good riddance. You would think the Apple reviewer would notice the fake app phoning home and question the reason.

From the App Store Guidelines:

2.6 Apps that are “beta”, “demo”, “trial”, or “test” versions will be rejected.
2.19 Apps that require license keys or implement their own copy protection will be rejected.

However, I’ve seen a few applications now that do not adhere to rule 2.19…

Which is how I think developers are getting around 2.19, have a switch so that once Apple approve it, you do what you want. A word of warning, if you get caught doing this, Apple will not only remove your application, but bar you from selling on the App Store.

I would complain if I were you!

[quote=179870:@Sam Rowlands]From the App Store Guidelines:

2.6 Apps that are “beta”, “demo”, “trial”, or “test” versions will be rejected.
2.19 Apps that require license keys or implement their own copy protection will be rejected.

However, I’ve seen a few applications now that do not adhere to rule 2.19…

Which is how I think developers are getting around 2.19, have a switch so that once Apple approve it, you do what you want. A word of warning, if you get caught doing this, Apple will not only remove your application, but bar you from selling on the App Store.

I would complain if I were you![/quote]

I know a bit the PDF converter crowd in the Windows side. They are often not quite proper on the edge. A lot of them use spamish techniques for their web sites, practice dubious so called “free” software that in fact is not, and altogether have a distinct snake oil salesman demeanor. Not surprising they barged with they dirty boots in the MAS…

@Jim Smith Have you tried opening the PDF file in Apple’s Preview and then exporting it as a different format? Apple’s Preview was a brilliant image conversion tool, all the way until to Yosemite, where Apple seemed to drop support for a lot of the file formats.

It is actually possible that the developer didn’t use their own PDF engine but rather a 3rd party SDK which they inevitably either didn’t paid the license for or that embedded the wrong unlock key for that engine. The “Demo” and FastSpring link could be from the SDK developer and not the developer of the app.

Anyways either contact Apple or the developer about it, it could just be an honest mistake.

Oh, I was just at the developer website http://www.lightenpdf.com/pdf-converter-mac.html and it seems like they are also selling the same app on their website with a free trial and they use FastSpring to process their orders. Possibly they got the wrong version to the App Store. The interesting thing is how did the Apple reviewers allows the app to be placed in the AppStore in the first place.

Have reported the “Any Free PDF to JPG Converter” to Apple.

Yes, Preview is one of my most used application.

You can make a image of each page of a pdf.