Is there no shell.mode 1 in Linux?

From your posts, it is unclear if you develop for Windows. I have since the early days, just as much as Mac.

On Mac I had to deal with regular changes of system, changes of development language, and still today, just ask very knowledgeable people like Sam Rowlands who can tell a thing or two about the kind of surprises each new version reserves developers.

With Windows, once a program is conformant to MS recommendations, it will work unchanged for all following systems. I can still run builds made in 2002. That would be unthinkable for Mac builds of the same era.

I’m well aware that Windows’ backwards compatibility is unmatched in the computing world. Just as innovation and design is for Macs (where the cutting edge can become the bleeding edge), or variety and choice for Linux.

So from a developer’s point if view I have no qualms with your statement, and Apple has always made developers jump through hoops (I’m just saying “Developer Guides”) so that apps conform to Apple’s often high expectations (though I would still contend that a Mac is a far better development machine). But from a user’s point of view it is a very different story.

Please keep in mind that the majority of Mac and Linux users are also Windows users, while the reverse is not the case. So Mac and Linux users generally have made an informed choice.

So when you dish out against Mac and Linux then you should be prepared for some friendly ribbing by those using both, and you might notice that I had put a smiley on my reply.

Calling me ignorant because of a humorous reply probably means you had a “bad hair” day, but it is still not a nice thing to do. I took it with humour (after all, I know you a bit), but I’m a bit surprised that you try to justify your remark by saying “From your posts, it is unclear if you develop for Windows”. It doesn’t matter if I do or don’t. If you are happy to dish out, then be happy to take it.

P.S. Linux developers don’t deal with 100 distributions. 100 distributions deal with Linux by conforming to its APIs. You don’t conform, you find yourself going down the pecking order quickly.

Android is a different story, but then Android isn’t Linux, it just uses the Linux kernel …

[quote=244815:@Markus Winter]So when you dish out against Mac and Linux then you should be prepared for some friendly ribbing by those using both, and you might notice that I had put a smiley on my reply.

Calling me ignorant because of a humorous reply probably means you had a “bad hair” day[/quote]

You never miss an occasion to badmouth Windows. This is getting very tiresome.

Having known all those systems since their inception, I am perfectly agnostic. It is not dissing Linux in itself to remark the incredible level of fragmentation. Not due to the system per se, but the many people who produce it. Fact remains.

Once again, my remark was only about a developer personal point of view.

Could not be a bad hair day, I am bald :wink:

Ah, we are talking Xojo DEVELOPERS only. Well, in that case I just say “flicker” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Then every day is a bad hair day :slight_smile:

Wax on. Wax off. :wink: