Is it too early to test Ventura?

For example, playing any sound makes MacOS ask for permission to access the microphone (Xojo: Account Login)

Should I just wait and hope Apple solves the stuff that’s breaking?

That’s not a bug though. Apple now requires user permission to do that.

If you’ve got a problem with this, you should talk to Apple.

I do not know.

But, I expect to get a “Do you accept to activate the Monitor someone try to connect ?"…

Then, when we will connect an external hard disk (Memory Stick, Photo Memory, …) guess what ?

To be clear, the app is trying to PLAY a sound. The permission is to RECORD sounds.

I can’t imagine Spotify will ask for access to your microphone on start.

Of course I received a message telling me the Ventura beta is available. But I have elected to wait until Ventura is actually available to the public in the App Store. I will then make sure my apps work under the new system.

Xojo is a bit crashy. Ventura has a lot of bugs - really odd ones. For Xojo I only found 2:

• Some text is not showing. Don’t have a clue why.
  • Creating previews of PDFs is broken. A fix is in the works.

I’m going to answer my own question and say “Yes. It’s too early.”

My bug report to Xojo said to come back later when Apple has their stuff sorted out. Fair enough!

In a way, asking permision to use the microphone (not when you want to play a sound) is a good thing: no one will / can spy us…

Now, (asking permission for playing sound) may be a too fast copy / paste code from using the microphone… Sometimes by wanting to do too well… you can be wrong.

Yeah, I love when Xojo crashes when I try to open a container. “That is solved by magic.”

1 Like

Yeah. I’m down with that!
Probably don’t want to be asked for permission to play sound though!

3 Likes

I have upgraded to Ventura and, while it works, it is quite buggy and Xcode it not available. I should NOT have upgraded yet, so don’t do it!

4 Likes

Next time, look up one of the many guides on how to install a macOS beta into a new APFS container, you do NOT use the described procedure from Apple as that destroys the current version you have installed.

Xcode 14 beta is available from the developer site as a separate download. It has been getting updated with each Ventura release.

Thank you @Jerry_Fritschle, I’m downloading it now.

1 Like

It can be tricky to switch to a new version of the system too early.

If you develop for iOS with Xojo, it may not yet be ready for the new XCode.

2 Likes