Is Cross Platform Sustainable?

I agree with you Peter. Everyone likes the idea of a single code base and multiple platforms. The problem is the amount of available resources doesn’t come close to matching the level necessary to complete all these products and produce world class high quality software. You want iOS but at what cost? What are the minimum quality requirements? IF the product is the same quality as the current Xojo are you buying and renewing on a regular basis?

You’ve said you’re using REALStudio and haven’t upgraded because you’re still waiting for bug fixes. It would appear that Xojo lost whatever revenue you would have gladly paid to have a more solid tool, yet their tasked with developing more additional high quality products on lower revenue, instead of meeting customer expectations on existing products and leveraging that.

Again, I’m team Xojo, but the current evidence suggest a business model that is chasing and moving to the next product prior to fully completing the existing product, hoping that a homerun will pay dividends. This usually doesn’t work - you end up in survival mode, bleeding as many customers as your adding, growth stalls and you can’t make headway. I think if there was significant growth you would see several more engineers and an effort to shore up existing products from a quality and feature standpoint, maybe even an acquisition of someone already in the mobile space. Again, I might be way off base but the only thing we have to base our opinions or decisions on are our history with the product and company and mild speculation. I’m holding on and hoping that some gentle “nudging” will help Xojo align their direction with customer expectations.

The entire Xojo team is awesome and you can tell they are hard working people who are deeply and emotionally connected to their product. At some point you just have to pick what you can do and be the best at it, you can not be everything to everyone. Sometimes this requires bold business decisions.

On that note, I just realized my subscription has expired and I am going to renew TODAY!

Indeed. Just like the space race brought us Teflon and non stick cookware, the iOS endeavor will bring spin offs to the whole family :slight_smile:

Before autolayout, simply having iOS would be nice. Before having a car with automatic reclinable seats, having a car to go to the market is a nice first step.

Concept cars are nice, but they usually fail to get to market. How many additional months has autolayout created ?

I for one would rather have .NET sooner than later, much before autolayout, when Windows is concerned. Same thing for Linux. And am not sure Autolayout is a pressing issue for Mac apps in the MAS.

Autolayout is important for phone apps, because users tend to rotate (sometimes) their device. Although looking at people on the street, I do not see many people using their phone landscape, unless to watch movies. But yet, what kind of apps will a vast majority of Mac and Windows current Xojo developers produce ? Phone apps, or a port of our current desktop apps ? Will iPad users rotate compulsively their screen as to necessitate autolayout ? I created Android apps for tablets with B4A that does not even have locking, and as far as I can tell, they fare adequately.

[quote=131452:@Jeff Tullin]Compiling for Android appears to be non-trivial, although Basic4Android has managed it, albeit to a less sophisticated level than Xojo.
OK, but do they have BasicForLInux, Basic4Mac, and BasicForWindows?[/quote]

They do have a nice little Basic for Windows (B4J), entirely compatible with B4A. Which is to show that code compatible is possible between at least these two platforms, though it is apparent the Android UI is kind of close to the Windows one, lest … windowing…

Comparing Xojo to Anywhere Software, though, is not quite fair, since Xojo has much larger ambitions and a more sophisticated language and IDE, and indeed a larger perspective. Where Anywhere Software stays resolutely attached to the PC hardware, even for their iOS product (the Mac is merely used to build and upload the app to iTunes Connect), Xojo has embraced 3 platforms entirely, and the IDE works on three. Xojo generates all three platform executables from each of them. It is really a horse of a different color.

They are not at all the same thing. I use Web, and have desktop apps in Xojo. I am looking forward to port my desktop apps to iOS. It is quite another deal to port them to web. And it is not because there is an abundance of apps in the MAS that Mac apps don’t sell. When I read that on average an iOS device gets 80 apps, I cannot but wonder how many apps a Mac gets. No statistics, but I would believe it is a whole lot less…