IPhone owners can sue Apple for monopolizing App Store, Supreme Court rules

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/13/tech/apple-app-store-supreme-court/index.html

They want money from Apple !

In all honesty I’m surprised the app store has gone unchallenged this long.

I suspect apple will lose on some level because the app store is the only way for devs to sell apps for iOS and for iOS device owners to get apps without jailbreaking

seems pretty monopolistic to me

[quote=436223:@Norman Palardy]I suspect apple will lose on some level because the app store is the only way for devs to sell apps for iOS and for iOS device owners to get apps without jailbreaking

seems pretty monopolistic to me[/quote]

+100%. It will be interesting and certainly looks like a monopoly to me (I’ve always thought that). However, this only only clears the way for a lawsuit, it does not render a verdict on whether Apple is a monopoly or violating anything related to antitrust. Apple was trying to get out of the case by saying - sue the developer, not us, we don’t set the prices. The court said you are adding a markup and inflating the prices (controlling to some degree), so no dice they can sue you as you are the seller, not the developer.

I wonder if and when you buy an Apple device the terms/conditions/EULA say you are bound to purchasing apps only from that app store and you agree to that. That would be the mechanism they might be able to get out of this.

What I find ironic is that while the suit accuses the AppStore of being a monopoly (which I think it is)… The main focus is on the price and 30% “apple tax” and how that unfairly drives up the prices… If the suit is based on that wording, then Apple will lose, as they do not set the prices, the developers do, and a 30% “shelving fee” is (while high) right in line with any other product retailer.

The AppStore should be challenged not on the basis of app prices, or the profit margin Apple makes, but by virtue of the fact it is the ONLY SINGULAR way to mass distribute software to the iOS world… That is the definition of a Monopoly.

Now personally while I don’t really like any entity telling me what I can or cannot create, or how I must create it… I do totally understand Apples viewpoint… And really if Apple were to allow other 3rd party distribution sources, but with the caveat that the apps needed to be “notarized”… I could live with that, and Apple would still have the confidence that the level of protection they are using as the AppStore excuse is still being maintained.

How many virus do you get as an App Store buyer ?

What is the margin a third party will take to release your sotware ?

Now, everyone may have his own opinion.