iOS devs might get $$$ from Apple Class-Action suit

I’ve seen gripes about the Apple Store and a $99 membership fee…

Welp. That nonsense may be changing, AND y’all might qualify for a payout.

Go check this out and register any claims you may have, the sooner the better:

https://theretaildetail.us/2021/03/24/apple-anti-trust-lawsuit-ios-app-devs-need-to-register-asap/

Hope this helps!

Yet another ■■■■■■■■ lawsuit. Go and move on.

5 Likes

:woman_shrugging: LOL, I simply posted for those who a claim might benefit.

For everyone else, apparently some people lost… not a small amount of money… considering alleged restrictions against publishing outside of the Apple Store means devs are stuck with the high commission Apple charges while Android devs can freewheel it with APK direct downloads from their own websites, and not pay 30% to an app store.

^— one of the reasons why I posted for devs to be aware of bc the market / ability to publish apps might end up changing to benefit iOS devs.

Further, claims for lost revenue are not always small - an example: I got a NICE check for backpay that became due from the InstaCart class action, it was over a few hundred dollars.

1 Like

So how do you do your payment processing, and how do you do your tax declarations for each country you sell to? Because you DO know that you have to pay tax, don’t you? And how do you keep up with the changing tax requirements for each country, e.g. changes in the tax rate as it happened in Greece?

Of course you can set up your own store, get your own payment processor, get your own accountant - but don’t be surprised if they don’t help you out for free.

And as for Google - they ALSO charge 30% for the same services - so why do I not hear you complaining about them? Oh, there are other stores without those services? That you use?

So do you not pay tax? In that case I would be VERY quiet about Apple (and Google) charging for the service they provide …

5 Likes

That is truly the nice thing about the Apple Store.

The $99 fee is typical for paying for most developer services. I think Mickey-soft charges a similar fee if not more to be a developer for them and get a developer certificate to sign your apps. If you are running a business and can’t afford a cost of $100 a year then you shouldn’t be in business.

As for the commissions Apple charges, they just dropped it for small businesses to what 15% or something like that. It’s a small price to pay for the hosting, taxes, currency adjustments, etc. Even the 30% is really not a terrible fee. If you want to make more money, then just price your app slightly higher.

3 Likes

I’m not sure the question actually is if Apple ask to much money for the service they do, or if someone else could do the same for cheaper, or if it’s better to pay Apple for that service or do it ourself. The problem is that we cannot test a different way, then we can’t really answer to the question above. If Apple give the better service with the lower price, what’s the problem to allowed other to try to offer the same service? Those other will quickly disappear if they offer a bad service which is more expansive.

I was just going to say that I actually like how Apple is doing this because I find it rather comfortable publishing apps and updates in the iOS AppStore. However, since the beginning of the week, Apple keeps rejecting any updates of my app. First it was this reason:

We noticed that your app may contain hidden features, functionality, or content.

Specifically, your app contains real money gambling functionality without the necessary licensing and permissions.

I replied there is absolutely no hidden functionalities or gambling involved, not at all. Since then I keep getting this message:

We continue to find that your app contains hidden features or functionality that can change the behavior of the app after review. To resolve this issue, it would be appropriate to ensure that all features and functions in the app are visible and fully accessible during review.

Deliberate disregard of the App Store Review Guidelines and attempts to deceive users or undermine the review process are unacceptable and is a direct violation Section 3.2(f) of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement. Continuing to violate the Terms & Conditions of the Apple Developer Program will result in the termination of your account, as well as any related or linked accounts, and the removal of all your associated apps from the App Store.

I have absolutely no idea how all of a sudden this keeps happening. The app is in the store since October with numerous updates going through without any problems. I don’t even know how to make an app that changes its behavior after the review process. I am not aware of hidden features or functionalities.

I keep asking them if they could precise what the issue is, if it’s app related or meta data related, if they maybe can send a screenshot…any hint would be helpful. I’m really at a loss, no idea what to do now. I fear my account is going to be terminated.

Did you add new plugins recently or something? Maybe the way plugins are loaded would be an issue? I’ve never seen that issue before but I haven’t released any iOS apps with Xojo recently.

I don’t use any plugins at all. At least not that I’m aware of. I use your iOSKit (for in-app purchases, e-mail sending and GameCenter) and Jeremie’s iOSExtensions (for visual stuff).

What I did in the most recent update: I added one more iOSView/screen to the app and removed the info.plist which contains only the file-sharing key because I did not want to share the files any longer. This was rejected with the message:

Guideline 2.3 - Performance - Accurate Metadata
We were unable to install the app on iPhone running iOS 14.4.1 on WiFi. The UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities key in the Info.plist is set in such a way that the app will not install on iPhone running iOS 14.4.1 on WiFi.

I thought it might have been the missing info.plist so I added it again and re-submitted the app. I’m getting the 3.2f messages from above since. I think maybe it’s also the metadata of the app (because of the title) but I don’t know what it could be.

Well, the Xojo framework may include more stuff than you use.
e.g. it may have classes you don’t use. Did you update Xojo version maybe?

Nope, still using Xojo 2020 Release 1 because I haven’t yet converted the app to API 2. I have been using this Xojo version for all builds of this app.

You do have options.

1. You can appeal the rejection. Make sure that you state in your appeal, that you have requested more information from the reviewer on multiple occasions and received none.
    https://developer.apple.com/contact/app-store/?topic=appeal

2. You can request to speak to someone on the phone. Simply respond to the reviewer by asking them to arrange for someone to call you. It takes about a week to happen.

2 Likes

I understand you like the way Apple is doing their store, and nobody want to destruct the Apple Store. The question is : Should it be the unique store ?

Your story, like many other like yours, should be paste in a web page. And I would answer the link of this webpage to every person who ask me why my applications are not on the Apple store.

2 Likes

If everything else fails start tweeting about this until someone notices.

3 Likes

Thank you for all your replies. It got rejected again and I just filed an appeal…

1 Like

It’s not that hard to do all this yourself almost for free, registering as MOSS (Mini One Stop Shop), using free online lookup services for tax and exchange rates, using PayPal for processing, PHP and mySQLi. In Germany, quarterly tax submission is done online, takes about an hour per quarter. I do all this myself and I don’t have to pay anyone else. See my [blog post] (http://aaronandrewhunt.zentral.zone/blog?p=34) One thing I forgot to note is that none of this is even necessary if your income is below a certain threshold, which varies by your country of residence. Above the threshold you have to register for a VAT number and then implement all these things, which does cost some money for fees and of course time to set it all up, but anyone wanting to do this should not be scared away. You’ll want to read and understand the rules, and you may want to consult with a tax advisor (I did) but you don’t need to pay monthly for any of these services. Your only ongoing costs are for your web hosting and internet access.

I read your blog. Thanks for making my point. If you are happy to dig through all the tax documents then good on you - I hate the stuff with a passion, and it is far too easy to make costly mistakes.

Also be aware that tax rates can change - I know of one developer who got a €600 fine because he had not noticed the Greek tax rate changing and was still using the old tax rate.

Markus, I did not “make your point”, on the contrary, I roundly refuted it. If you had read my blog, then you would have learned that my server pulls the tax rates directly from the (free) EU source, automatically. I share your loathing of tax documents, and reading them all in German was especially unpleasant for me. And by the way, because I took the time to understand everything myself, I found out that the tax advisor had got their information wrong and I had to correct them! So there :slight_smile:

I said I have, so basically telling me I’m a liar is not on. :rage:

But the message that comes through loud and clear is that while the information is free it is also “extremely complicated, because online sales in the EU require that tax be collected in the rate of the customer’s country, not the rate of the seller’s country. This means tracking website visitors’ location, and looking up correct tax rates for each transaction. To accomplish this requires gathering data from a few Euro-related online services. Luckily these services are free.”

Plus " VAT rates are very complicated, because they not only vary per country, but also vary per category of goods or services per country. Luckily, complete and very clear information on all the VAT rates is available from the European Commission."

Now it is good that you are capable of dealing with all that - but not everyone is or has the inclination to do it, dealing with their own store and the security aspects of running one. Therefore you DID make my point.

Add in that many customers require you to use the Apple and Windows stores for the convenience and security and would not buy from you otherwise, and the stores are good value for money (especially for small developers).

So next time before you call someone a liar, maybe listen to what they have to say.

Markus, please calm down. Nobody called you a liar. Perhaps this is a problem with language. Had you read and understood everything I wrote, you would not have responded with “Also be aware that tax rates can change” because it was clear from my blog that I monitor the changes of the tax rates automatically. So your response clearly showed that, though perhaps you “read” what I wrote, you did not read it very carefully, and apparently did not understand at least that one important point, that changing tax rates can easily be handled automatically, using government issued information, for free.

As for proving your point, perhaps I misunderstood your point. You claimed one would have to pay big bucks to handle all these things. I prove that claim to be quite false.

1 Like