iOS Applications ported to MacOS !

Answers were given at WWDC.

But Xojo iOS developer will probably do not need that…

yawn
https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/04/apple-to-let-developers-port-ios-apps-to-mac-starts-with-own-apps-in-macos-mojave

What I would like to see is a Super version of “iOS Simulator” where the IPA code could be stored and executed on a desktop computer without the need for Xcode etc. Even if it had a “fixed window” size, I still thing that would be a good thing. I actually have a few apps that I wrote (in Swift) that I use on my desktop on a daily basis,

Don’t fall asleep Dave :smiley:

“I can’t do that Dave.”

:wink:

The first comment I head from this was “So I only need to make a few changes to make my iPhone app work on an iPad, and with a couple more changes, it will work on the macOS”.

Seems like the days of dedicated macOS development will be over in a couple of years.

That is what I thought originally… but that doesn’t seem to be what is…
They are simply adding the AppKit framework it seems.
Meaning (if I understand), that you can write (in Swift) code that runs on under macOS, using API features in iOS, perhaps blurring the lines between NSxxxx and UIxxxx references (which makes sense)

[quote=390674:@Dave S]That is what I thought originally… but that doesn’t seem to be what is…
They are simply adding the AppKit framework it seems.
Meaning (if I understand), that you can write (in Swift) code that runs on under macOS, using API features in iOS, perhaps blurring the lines between NSxxxx and UIxxxx references (which makes sense)[/quote]
Interesting as I understood t’other way round, judging by the slides, it appears to me that they’re adding UIKit to the macOS, I personally would imagine as a ‘bridge’ from UIKit to AppKit.

I think we’re going to have to wait until there’s some more information, it would be great if I could take the desktop application I’m working on right now, click a button and it works on an iPad (as well as Windows), but my gut is telling me that it’s designed to go t’other way. Make an iPad application and click a button and it works on the Mac.

I’d love to know what Xojo’s thoughts are on this.

Yes, they’re essentially adding a slice of UIKit that makes sense to AppKit, and they’re mapping touch events, finger drags etc to mouse clicks, mouse drags.

iOS and macOS already share a ton of code underneath AppKit and UIKit as they, of course, share common ancestry. They said on stage that the two platforms have drifted a little further apart over the years, and they want to bring them back together where it makes sense.

This is a multi-year project and I think it will end up in a place similar to, say, tvOS and iOS. tvOS is essentially a subset of iOS with its own UI layer and with some things thrown in that will only ever make sense on the TV.

I don’t think this will be as scary as it might seem to us old-timers and I suspect when people start using apps built on these technologies, and they feel just like regular Mac apps, we’ll start breathing a sigh of relief. I’m also encouraged by the amount of stage time the Mac got yesterday. I’m feeling pretty positive about all this.

This could have been Xojo iOS, if only they had kept the language, and realized that develop once, compile many, could have been extended to the iPad.

I think that’s where they said they were now going.

I’ll reserve further judgement on this until we see how it actually gets used by developers.

The apps that Apple tout, do indeed feel like iPad apps at the moment.

For me, the enlightenment came when I customized Check Print’R+ Windows to run smoothly on a Windows tablet. Basically, all I had to do was to make sure the UI did not get blocked by the on-screen keyboard. Apart from that, the great way Windows deals with regular Desktop apps on a tablet made it pretty transparent.

If Xojo indeed makes it easy to port Desktop apps to Android, without the alienation of present Xojo iOS, then they got a winner.

I still think what Apple needs to develope is a Super iOS Simulator (ie. Emulator) that would allow you to port any iOS IPA file to your desktop