iOS 13 SDK with Xojo 2019r2

When building with my last licensed 2019r2 version I get an iOS SDK issue when trying to upload to the the App Store. The Transporter says it is not using iOS 13 SDK while I am using Xcode 11.7 (which should use iOS 13 SDK). According to the documentation these versions should do the job (Submitting to the iOS App Store — Xojo documentation).

What should I do to make sure the correct iOS SDK is being recognised when building the package?

You’ll need a newer version of Xojo to make iOS apps for the App Store.

Thank you for your response, Tim. Perhaps a Xojo license update would be necessary if the minimum requirement for the App Store would be for the current iOS 14 SDK to be used. I would then need to purchase the $300 license for the latest Xojo update for mobile. But fortunately, at present the requirement for submitting iOS apps to the App Store is to use iOS 13 SDK, which should be covered by 2019r2 which I have a valid license for. See the documentation reference in my previous post.

My question is about how to correct the packaging problem so that the SDK I am using with Xcode 11.7 is recognised by the Transporter when uploading. I need this for a maintenance update for just one app I have a small number of customers for. I cannot justify an expense of $300 for just a minor bug fix.

Sorry, I’m not a Xojo iOS expert, I was just passing along a message from a knowledgeable source.

FWIW, your time may be extremely limited, Apple says

Starting April 2021, all iOS and iPadOS apps submitted to the App Store must be built with Xcode 12 and the iOS 14 SDK.

Edit: To be specific, are you talking about 2019r2 or 2019r2.1? This could be important to Xojo iOS experts.

I have been through this exact scenario with Xojo, (I had one line of code to change, to bug fix a free app) and share your pain.
Despite the public claim that you can continue to use licenced copies of Xojo,

After that, keep building with any existing release, indefinitely.

and despite the iOS licence costing considerably more than the Lite desktop versions (which do not expire), your iOS licence is worthless now.
You can build, but you can’t use what you build.

1 Like

It is 2019r2.1 I have

Thanks Jeff. It is good to know that others are confronted with the same sort of dilemma.

your iOS licence is worthless now.
You can build, but you can’t use what you build.

If this is what it means using a Xojo mobile license then I definitely stop using this going forward. It is way too expensive for a portfolio of apps with a small user base. There are plenty of alternatives that offer a better deal.

1 Like

Indeed, I am concerned by this too. iOS SDK’s should be independent from a Xojo version.

From time to time, Apple updates their SDK requirements. When they do, we update the version of their SDK that ships with Xojo. That’s all this is, another update to their SDK requirements.

That’s not realistic as our mobile framework is built with a specific version of the iOS SDK.

No one likes it when technology changes resulting in cost to update. Any alternatives to Xojo that build native apps will have the same SDK issues. As for the cost of those alternatives, be sure to consider the cost of your time.

Then tell that the license associates with a specific iOS SDK instead of a subscription that can last for several years. Why the desktop-application is only $99 compared to the mobile-application $299 is beyond my comprehension and contrasts with Apple’s subscriptions which is just $99.

For every child that wants to make a quick buck from a desktop app there are 100 children to make a quicker buck from mobile apps.

No one likes it when technology changes resulting in cost to update. Any alternatives to Xojo that build native apps will have the same SDK issues. As for the cost of those alternatives, be sure to consider the cost of your time.

This isn’t about a change in technology. It is about version incompatibility. And cost of our time is a complete different topic, not something just to make assumptions about.

I have Xojo 2019 Release 2.1 with a license for mobile which according to the documentation should be compatible with iOS 13 SDK (see the link in the initial post).

Maybe try setting the Command Line Tools in Xcode Preferences - Locations?

Apple does not make make its living from development tools. For the most part, Apple remains a hardware company. We OTOH make our living entirely from development tools. And the accessibility and speed at which you can create iOS apps in Xojo is far greater than in Xcode. That has value.

I’m simply pointing out that whatever value you place on your time is also a factor. I could walk to the grocery store instead of spending the money on driving my car there but it would take considerably longer to walk and I value my time so pay the cost to drive.

Luckily declares (and now plugins) are possible in Xojo. Otherwise there is very little way this is true. If someone had to expend the time to create a library like iOSKit or iOSDesignExtensions themself not a single person would agree I think.

6 Likes