Intrinsic integer types

Seems I’m a bit fuzzy on Xojo’s intrinsic integer types. The documentation clearly states that “There are several intrinsic integer datatypes which differ by: …” However, when I define a class property using one of the uncommon types (UInt32 for example) the little “blue cube” icon appears for the property, which indicates to me that this is not compiling to an intrinsic CPU type, but is, in fact, an allocated class instance. Am I missing something here? Maybe all Xojo types are runtime classes and I just never knew it :confused:

I rarely need anything other than just plain old Integer, and computation speed is rarely a problem. But presently I’m working on an app that needs unsigned 32-bit (and possibly 64-bit) integers running as compactly as possible, and this issue just caught me off-guard with my Xojo “knowledge pants” down around my ankles.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can clear this up for me.

–Barry

Int8, Int16, Int32, Int64, UInt8, UInt16, UInt32, UInt64, Single, and Double all map directly to their equivalent C types and aren’t objects. Integer is slightly special only that it is an alias for Int32 and will be an alias for Int64 when compiling for 64-bit.

It would be nice if there were a UInteger type too.

It might, but I’ve never seen a case in Feedback requesting it.

Well, I just thought of it. :slight_smile: I imagine it would help with some declares when Xojo goes 64 bit.

Thanks, Joe, for the response.