Internet Explorer Delete Key

Have another odd experience with our web app on Windows. Internet Explorer users, if they hit the Delete key, will close the window/tab. If a control has the focus this doesn’t happen but if no focus then it does.

The worst thing? If I test from my login this does not happen but I’ve seen it with my own eyes from two separate users.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

Sorry, it’s actually the backspace key (on my Mac they’re both called Delete).

The backspace key is the browser back button on Internet Explorer. I have seen it close a tab before when there was no history but I am having a time duplicating it right now on IE 11.

[quote=186922:@Bob Keeney]Have another odd experience with our web app on Windows. Internet Explorer users, if they hit the Delete key, will close the window/tab. If a control has the focus this doesn’t happen but if no focus then it does.

The worst thing? If I test from my login this does not happen but I’ve seen it with my own eyes from two separate users.

Any ideas on what might be going on?[/quote]

If by chance that behavior is not intrinsic to the IE app, you may try blocking the backspace key when Text controls are not focused. See http://www.heckdesigns.com/tutorials/tutorial-disabling-keyboard-keys-with-javascript/

So my client swore they were having this problem (but I was not) so I went into IE 11 and reset all of my IE options (Options/Advanced/Reset) and then restarted. I start the web app and don’t put the focus anywhere and hit the backspace key it closes the tab.

Great. I duplicated it. Now I can’t turn that idiotic functionality off! A quick search shows that this ‘feature’ pissed a lot of MS users off but I’ve not found anything recent. Obviously I must have figured out how to turn it off at one point but I’ll be darned if I can find it.

Any ideas on where this stupid setting is?

[quote=186993:@Bob Keeney]So my client swore they were having this problem (but I was not) so I went into IE 11 and reset all of my IE options (Options/Advanced/Reset) and then restarted. I start the web app and don’t put the focus anywhere and hit the backspace key it closes the tab.

Great. I duplicated it. Now I can’t turn that idiotic functionality off! A quick search shows that this ‘feature’ pissed a lot of MS users off but I’ve not found anything recent. Obviously I must have figured out how to turn it off at one point but I’ll be darned if I can find it.

Any ideas on where this stupid setting is?[/quote]

Seems the issue is a pissing off quite a few people and has little solution :
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/how-do-i-disable-the-backspace-key-from/8e3c2452-6d87-492e-a30d-c9c86de58ad7?page=1&tm=1431583805253

This discussion shows lists JS methods analogous to what I posted above :
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1495219/how-can-i-prevent-the-backspace-key-from-navigating-back

That’s fine, but it was disabled on my machine, somehow, until I reset all of my internet preferences.