Internet Explorer 8 issues?

Has anyone experienced any display issues when running web apps generated by xojo in internet explorer?
I will try to send a screen shot of what I saw yesterday, if I can reproduce it.

I’ve been testing on FireFox, Chrome and Safari, but have been having no luck with ie.

Upgrade to IE 10. Tell your Windows 7 users to do same, or switch to Chrome for your app. It’s not an unreasonable request in October, 2013.

Could not execute returned javascript: ‘undefined’ is not an object
Source: Xojo.controls[‘SkdpBNqa’].setCursor(‘pointer’);
Xojo.controls[‘SkdpBNqa’].refresh();
Xojo.controls[‘UFkqIh1H’].deleteAllRows();

In a government organization it is unlikely they will take my request seriously.

Well, you can target IE8/9 with Web Edition. In all seriousness, I wouldn’t bother any more. There are many shortcomings because Microsoft couldn’t see fit to embrace HTML standards, and at this point, they are really a waste of time to report and a waste of hope to expect fixed.

Other news in this landscape… Chrome Frame is going away, with Google saying that Microsoft finally understands the need to keep its browser updated and on the standards track. Many many apps that IE <10 users encounter will break. You’ll have leverage soon enough.

I have a client with a whole host of Windows XP boxes (yeah I know), but they are on IE 8 of course. Are we saying that Xojo Web just doesn’t work on IE 8? All of my other clients are working fine, but this one on IE 8, the SegmentedControl is not working. Only the last tab appears, and even it is drawn weird.

Works fine on Safari, Chrome, FireFox, IE 10 and IE 11. Just not IE 8. So, I’m thinking it’s not really a problem in my code, but certainly a problem for my client. I read on http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/System_requirements that IE 8+ is supported, so I am wondering if that is true or not. If I am doing something wrong or not.

Please file a bug report for this. I can’t think of any reason this shouldn’t work.

I’m not able to reproduce it in a simple situation, which leads me to think it is my code but why would it work everywhere but IE 8. I’ll keep playing trying to find a common thread.

@Jeremy Cowgar - Is the broken project hosted on the internet somewhere I could look at it? We may be able to tell what’s wrong by looking at the HTML.

Yes, but I’ll have to setup an account for you to go into dummy data. I’ll contact you off list.

Thanks Greg.

Greg, having to get this working, I figured out what was going on, sorta. The area where the WebSegmentedControl lives is a modal dialog box. That modal dialog box also had a dialog box as a control. This worked fine on all browsers except IE 8. On IE 8 having that modal dialog box as a control on the base modal dialog box caused a JavaScript error to occur and when it occurred, the who base dialog was messed up really.

The extra dialog was simply a “I Accept These Terms” type of YES/NO dialog, so I removed it as a control from my Claim Submission Dialog and instead created it at runtime if needed (only needs to show once per session). That change made everything work fine on IE 8.

I can sorta duplicate this in a sample project. All you have to do is embed a dialog into another dialog, it’ll work on everything but IE 8. On IE 8 you’ll see the JavaScript error, on other browsers things will work as normal. I remember now that embedding objects such as a SMTPSocket on a dialog doesn’t work, I don’t know if the Dialog in Dialog is suppose to work or not. Seems fine for the most part, just not on IE 8.

Dialogs within Dialogs is undocumented and I’m not surprised that they don’t work on a browser that is 5+ years old.

They actually work fine, if created and instantiated in code. They don’t work if done in the GUI.

I wish I could tell our clients to trash IE 8, but looking at web traffic for the past 1 month, IE 8 is still 26% of our entire traffic :-/

We’ll, if you can file a bug report and get me a sample project, maybe we can get it fixed.

[quote=89895:@Jeremy Cowgar]They actually work fine, if created and instantiated in code. They don’t work if done in the GUI.

I wish I could tell our clients to trash IE 8, but looking at web traffic for the past 1 month, IE 8 is still 26% of our entire traffic :-/[/quote]

Maybe as a workaround you could replace the segmented control with its picture within an ImageView. I tried that with the captured picture of the different states of a segmented control in IE 11. Then use MouseDown x to manage which button is clicked. Seems to work well.

For 26% of the traffic, it is worth a try :wink:

Old XP stuff is a resilient crowd…

Sure, it’s super simple to reproduce. I created <https://xojo.com/issue/33623> that includes steps as well as a sample project.

[quote=89994:@Michel Bujardet]Maybe as a workaround you could replace the segmented control with its picture within an ImageView. I tried that with the captured picture of the different states of a segmented control in IE 11. Then use MouseDown x to manage which button is clicked. Seems to work well.

For 26% of the traffic, it is worth a try :wink:

Old XP stuff is a resilient crowd…[/quote]

Once I fixed the embedded dialog, the segmented control began working. If it ceases to work again, I’ll certainly use your idea. Thanks!