Interesting Fact

CRAY has always been known as a Super Computer, with the CRAY-1 being built in around 1972.

But the iPhoneXS has 500x the memory and is over 1000x faster than that first CRAY (with cost $33million in todays $)

but not to worry the new CRAY FRONTIER is 9.4 BILLION times faster than the CRAY-1 and will cost $600 million

Whew.

That’s CRAY CRAY! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=436962:@Dave S]CRAY has always been known as a Super Computer, with the CRAY-1 being built in around 1972.

But the iPhoneXS has 500x the memory and is over 1000x faster than that first CRAY (with cost $33million in todays $)

but not to worry the new CRAY FRONTIER is 9.4 BILLION times faster than the CRAY-1 and will cost $600 million[/quote]

back when I was in EE school, my university had a cray and only “certain people” were allowed to use it. now I was a very computer savvy person and that school wasnt (it was the physics & “others”). so I got in good with some of the physics students and got time on the cray. it was very weird. it was a multi-user environment but only one person at a time got ALL THE RESOURCES and it just switched round robin every X milliseconds to the next person. compiling code on it was weird. you hoped you got all your stuff compiled in a single pass or it did weird stuff with saving/loading memory between sessions.

my apple watch (S3) is probably much better and faster computer than it was. and it doesnt take liquid nitrogen nor a special room to run it.

Cray Chicken: Crosses faster than any other chicken, but if you don’t dip it in liquid nitrogen first, it arrives on the other side frazzled.

Freon I suspect, not liquid nitrogen.

You are correct, but liquid nitrogen is funnier.
:wink:

One of my first ever ‘professional’ I.T development courses back in the day had what the instructors described as a ‘mini supercompuer’. It turned out to be the ICL DRS6000 with a massive 25MHz Sparc chip, and the whole thing was the size of a washing machine.

I only took 2 things away from that course :

1. Target = Source
  2. I would never have my own DRS6000.

I can’t even begin to imagine the cooling inside that beast.

:slight_smile:

Actually it seems it was a liquid called “Fluorinert” which was pumped across the circuits at 1" per second, and cooled externally with chilled water heat exchangers (at least in the Cray-2)

at the time I went to University they had a Cyber 205 frontend by another Cyber 100 something
no one logged into the 205
you submitted your apps to the 100, it compiled them then submitted them to the 205 and eventually you got results back
but no one in Comp Sci got to use them - physics had all the time

it also was liquid cooled from what little i knew about it

I had the pleasure of using a Univac 90/30 (I think it was)… you submitted a deck of punch cards, they ran your (and everyone elses) jobs in sequence over night and you got a print out back the next day.

Who recall DataPoint mini computers ?
(early 1980s)

Hewlett Packard has just acquired Cray: https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/17/18629716/hpe-cray-acquisition-supercomputers-exascale-performance-deal