Installing Ubuntu "alongside" Win 10

Been installing Linux for over a decade and always did it CLI installs. Now I have a new Win 10 machine and it looks like I can install Ubuntu “alongside” Win 10. Can it be that easy?

I don’t use Win 10 for anything but Xojo testing or browser testing. I do want to get into some MySQL or Postgres on the Ubuntu side. I’ll probably run mostly Ubuntu on this machine.

Before I pop in the install DVD and click the run button I thought I’d ask.

Thanks

You mean dual boot? I have heard of Win10 having the bash shell (downloadable from Microsoft) but nothing native for installing an entire OS.

Grab a download of Virtual Box Virtual Box and follow this Install Ubuntu

:smiley:

Yes, dual boot. I have virtual machines but want the real deal for this.

My impression is that the Ubuntu installer will handle the partitioning, installation, and setting up a boot loader. Grub or something. I don’t know, sounds too easy.

I used to dual boot on Windows with Linux (Mostly Red Hat) but always had to fix the windows boot volume when uninstalling Linux so just been using Virtual Machines since then.

It does look like you can boot Ubuntu from a USB drive USB Boot

Hopefully someone that has experience with this will chime in :smiley:

I did have a machine that was partitioned to have several OS flavors and versions. I had one Windows and 3 Linux just previous to this. I’ve also had machines with more than one Windows and Linux on it. I did the partitioning and install manually and then used the Grub boot loader. It wasn’t hard. I’m just not up for that and I do have the machine with Win 10 already on it.

That is exactly what I used to do, partitioned as needed and had multiple OS’s and used grub to manage the booting. I think the last machine I did that to had like you did, couple of Windows OS;s and like 3 or 4 Linux flavors running but I just liked the Virtual route and have stuck with it.

Just to check - you are not confusing dual-boot with “Linux Ubuntu Subsystem for Windows 10” (or what they chose to name it) https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about
This is basically a BASH shell (I have heard that you can run GUI apps as well) with a full Ubuntu system. I use it daily to run scripts that are too complex to do in DOS and to run commands that don’t play well on Windows (such as rsync).

Edit: Bash/WSL seems to be the official name.

[quote]It does look like you can boot Ubuntu from a USB drive USB Boot
[/quote]
Ive been trying to get this working for some time.
Its easy enough to create/ buy a Linux Live bootable USB key
I now have several.
But Linux Live is not persistent: theres nowhere to install apps and keep your own work.
If anyone has a bootable Linus key that DOES work like a real machine and allow installing apps etc , please… get in touch! :slight_smile:

I used to run dual boot with Windows and various Linux distros: MEPIS, Ubuntu, etc. The key was to get Windows installed first. Then shrink the partition down making room for Linux. Then during the installation of Linux, the installer should identifiy that there is an existing Windows partition and then ask you if you want to keep this partition and make it an option for the boot loader.

For the record, I’ve switched over to running Linux on the bare metal, and I run Windows as a virtual machine when I need it.

Hope this helps.

Did the same (dual booting Win & Linux) when i bought new Laptop 3 years ago as there was Windows 8 installed and got almost crazy bout the hibernation problem back then. Now on all my machines Linux is base / host OS, others - even other linux flavours, androids aso. run in virtual machines. Works best for me. Some minor issues with power savings and running on battery time using linux. But who cares ^^

@Duane
I was successfull, like Brian, too with a dual installation (Windows 10, Ubuntu 16),
but only on my Asus laptop, with Windows 10 (updated from Windows 8.1) already installed.

There needs to be room for at least one PRIMARY partition on the drive. If that is the case,
one can use a USB-stick boot-version of Ubuntu to shrink the existing Windows 10 partition, or
use Windows 10’s tools to do the same first, and create room for the partition where the Linux boot
loader will be placed, as well as the Ubuntu partition itself (needs not be primary) and swap space.
I didn’t experience any problems with hibernation.

Note: not all modern Bios’es allow Ubuntu to boot from the USBstick, so check first.

On my Lenovo pc, however, I was out of luck, as all three primary partitions
had been used for Windows, recovery partitions etc.

Something similar was true for FreeBSD, but I only was able to run a “live” CD-based version
of FreeBSD with an older laptop, where all three primary partitions had been used already.